"Black Friday"?

/ "Black Friday"? #1  

Farmwithjunk

Tractor
Where do I begin.....
\"Black Friday\"?

The day after Thanksgiving. The biggest retail sales day of the year and/or Christmas shopping season. When did "Black Friday" become the catch phrase for this day of excess? I've never heard of it described in this term until this year.

OK. How does "Black Friday" link to tractors? There's a new John Deere dealership near home. They're grand opening is today, tomorrow, and monday. Would it be appropriate for me to spend my Christmas shopping dollars in a John Deere dealer? In the seasonal spirit of giving, would I be forgiven (by the Mrs.) if I was to give my hard-earned dollars to the up-start dealership? (Come on guys! I'm looking for validation here)

Anyone making a purchase from the new dealer in the next 3 business days will be eligable for a John Deere lawn tractor they're giving away. I'd sure hate to miss out on my chance. (The contest rules don't specify a minimum amount on that purchase, but I'd sure like to have a new tractor. Something 75 HP or bigger, enclosed cab, heat and A-C, Maybe a loader. I'd bet that'd make their minimum)

Someone give me their blessings! (And maybe your VISA #)

/ "Black Friday"? #2  
Re: \"Black Friday\"?

I don't recall hearing it called "Black Friday" until this year myself. Day before yesterday my grandson was telling me about something he wants for Christmas that was going to be about half price today. Then he showed me on the Internet where you could enter "Black Friday" on Google, find different store names, what they would have to sell, and at what price today. It just so happened that I had to go to the store he mentioned Wednesday, and I got a manager to sell me what the boy wants for Christmas at today's price. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My wife does NOT like to get out of bed before 7:30 a.m., but she was up before 4 a.m. this morning and gone by 4:30 to go shopping with our youngest daughter. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif So I can't give you my Visa number because my wife may max it out before you could get to the Deere dealer. Personally, I have no intention of doing any "combat shopping" today or any other day. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ "Black Friday"? #3  

I've heard that it's called black friday as some retailers don't get into the black for the entire year until today, and that's only if today goes well for them.

My wife is out there supporting them. It's beyond me though. Why fight the crowds? I have no interest in it. I need to hit Menards later but I just know it will be packed.

The past couple of years I have taken an afternoon in the middle of the week off for my Christmas shopping. Very relaxed and not crowded. The internet is another nice crowd-buster but TBN is still my favorite place to "hang out" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ "Black Friday"? #4  

Black Friday is one of my favorite days.
Left the house a 5:15 am. Went to the Gander Mountain store. Bought my sons Christmas gifts. Then went to HD. Bought 6 more items on our Christmas list. Back home at 6:40 am. All shopping is done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Wife left at same time. May be home by 6:00 pm this evening. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I'm sure her Visa card will be maxed out. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I don't loan my card out to anyone. Not even her. How would I buy tractor stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ "Black Friday"? #5  

Yes , that is correct. It is called Black Friday because it starts the month when retailers hope they will end the year in the black and not the red. It has been called that for a long time but they seem to be saying it a lot this year.

With the high energy cost people may not spend as much and it could be a bad year for retailers.

Dave in NH

/ "Black Friday"? #6  

The "real" Black Friday was the day in 1929 when the stock market crashed. Seems funny retailers would adopt the term for what they view as their finest hour.

/ "Black Friday"? #7  

Its been black friday forever in investing,seems in the last couple of years its been catching on away from finacial news.They are forecasting consumers to spend a little more this year,so look for better deals as retailers fight for your business on this news.

/ "Black Friday"? #8  

They may have been saying it right along but this is the first year that I have heard Black Friday mentioned.

And I guess not everyone adheres to it cause I called Discount Drain today to get some PVC fittings for a project and they were closed. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ "Black Friday"? #9  

I too thought that "Black Friday" was a bad thing related to the stock market crash.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As for the dealer, dont you need a new tractor or some implements to work the wifes garden for the spring? My wife always wants a garden but I always end up caring for it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. It was a good excuse for me to get my tractor. Since you already have a tractor(ot two) this may be a little more challenging. Isnt there something wrong with the others? Arent you having a difficult time dealing with the weather changes lately(needing a cab)? Keep thinking, good luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ "Black Friday"?

We just recently bought another piece of ground. Now I have cows at two locations, about 4 miles apart. So far, I've done all the feeding with a pick-up or on warm days. I've got to move some hay by next week at the latest. That's easier to do with the tractor. It's 17 balmy degrees here today. That's not "open station tractor country". If I get a good cab tractor, it should see me to the days when I'm too old for this sort of fun. Sounds like all the logic I need.

Wife wants a new car.

Houston, we have a problem...................................