Fancy Trucks

/ Fancy Trucks #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
As a simple minded person that tries to lead a simple life, I have been guilty of this a couple times in the past but have since moved on. Now, I know some of you guys are going to crucify me for this, but I need to bring it up. After owning 2 trucks back 2 back w/ full power accessories (windows, locks etc), I bought a used F150 XL 5spd manual ,V-6 engine. While it is no performance superstar towing or acceleration wise, it does what I need it to. Its got a reg cab, rubber floor, cloth seat, am/fm radio and cruise control...thats about it for creature comforts. Now, I know several folks on here own some decked out trucks. My question is simple...why? Not being critical at all...just wondering what drives folks to buy 30k+ trucks w/ heated seats, leather, GPS and so on. I mean, wouldn't the base model do the same job and save you a ton of money upfront and in repairs in the long run? Please, do not take this as me saying my truck is better w/o the frills. I just realized the day I bought my truck that I was becoming too uptight about owning fancy trucks (scratches, dirt). Now, I do take care of my truck, you know, wash, clean maintenance but also don't get too upset w/ dirt and scratches. It'll tow my small trailer w/ 2000# of horse feed no problem. I recently hauled about 1500# of wood in the bed w/ out breaking a sweat. Now, when I'm cruising the lot while my truck is being serviced, I look at XL models on down only. It seems the fancier trucks just get more expensive and extravagant every year. Kind of takes away from it being a "truck". I look forward to hearing everyone's input on this. Just wondering what turns the gears in one's head while buying a truck.

/ Fancy Trucks
good one...that is the best 1 word explanation i've had in a while /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fancy Trucks #4  
There have been times when I enjoyed being able to drive a basic "XL" style truck. It's cheaper, I didn't have to worry able it getting dirty, etc...
Right now I spent about 2 hours per day in my truck driving. So if I have to be cooped up in a cab in traffic for almost 10% of my time I want to at least enjoy myself...why not? It does seem ridiculus to spend $40-$50K on a pick-up. I will say that I really enjoy driving my truck much more than any vehicle that I have ever owned...it is fun. I figure that I have 20-30 years left on this planet why not enjoy it a little. There is no question that the truck is way overkill for my needs but I don't view it as any different than my neighbors having expensive: boats, horses, motorcycles, etc...
I believe many people buy "decked out" trucks because they enjoy them, I think it is that simple. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 780937-KRBrochure (Small).JPG
    780937-KRBrochure (Small).JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 638
   / Fancy Trucks #5  
You know if I could afford it I would own a much nicer truck than my 99 F-250 but it does the trick for me. It's basically my weekend truck and I bought it second hand for 4k.I bought it from a customer of mine. It has 307,000 miles on it. The motor was changed just before I bought it. I spend about 1.5 hours a day and am not going to drive it back and forth to work as it only gets 15 mpg. Call me a cheap yankee. I'm happy driving my 96 Chevy Beretta back and forth. It gets 33mpg.

/ Fancy Trucks #6  
deerefan
There is something that means a lot to some folks and that is

YOU ONLY GO THRU LIFE ONCE

I have never seen a hearse with a trailer hitch, so you might as well enjoy that decked out truck in this life. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fancy Trucks #7  
David, I bought my first new pickup in 1969; a short and narrow bed 1969 Chevrolet half ton. Optional equipment? A rear bumper and spare tire. Six cylinder, 3-speed manual transmission, no radio, no power anything, not even a cigarette lighter. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif A heater was standard equipment by that time. It was right after the '70 models came out and cost me $1,840 new! I think "image" accounts for a lot of the things people buy, but I now drive pretty well loaded vehicles and it sure isn't for image sake. It's just that I've gotten older and lazier. I think power steering and brakes are standard on everything now, and I like the automatic transmission, especially in the stop and go traffic I have to deal with. I like the cruise control because if I have to go long distances, it's tiring to keep a foot on the pedal. And I really like the power mirrors because I use the mirrors and it's awkward at best to adjust the right side outside mirror if it gets knocked out of adjustment or we change drivers. And in my part of the country, the air-conditioner is more important than the heater. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif So far, no GPS, no heated seats, and no desire to have either. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif But yeah, I have AM-FM, CD in both vehicles, and cassette in one, tilt wheel (that's never changed) in both, power driver's seat in one, not the other, and the keypad on the doors (only locked keys in a car once in my lifetime, but it's another nice convenience).

/ Fancy Trucks #8  
Well if you got the money you might as well enjoy it. If I had the extra cash I would buy a big 350 CC with all the toys. Heated seats would be nice in the winter. Heated mirrors would also be nice and so would power windows and power locks. You are paying for convenience. But if something breaks it's also more expensive to fix. But if you put up $45k for a truck you (hopefully) should be able to afford the repairs unless you overextended yourself.

But until I get my big cash windfall...I'll keep driving my 85 diesel F250 which is all mechanical. No computers other than the stereo. Which makes home repairs easy.

Attachments

• 780946-canopy.jpg
    780946-canopy.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 514
   / Fancy Trucks #9  
Speaking of "fancy" trucks...here is one that is over the top (actually I think it's pretty darn ugly).

Attachments

• 780948-bigtruck.jpg
    780948-bigtruck.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,723
   / Fancy Trucks #10  
david, you promised you wouldn't talk about me anymore. i have the exact truck you do but i do have the one your'e talking about also. it pleases me to drive it and is not a good investment nor intended to be. falls under entertainment to me. sorta like basic tractors and deluxe cab/air cd playin types. i work hard for what i get just like you. it's my bassboat, hunting lease, trip to hawaii, and everything else. i don't consider it a big deal. i know i won't always want something like it. i grew up in la. and i see it to. at least i don't have a 4 wheeler in it. not intended to offend anyone with this. like i've seen said on tbn a few times lately "WHOOO CARES !!!!!!!!) i enjoy your posts....... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif