Texan's view of the world

/ Texan's view of the world #21  
Re: Texan\'s view of the world

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Why is it that everyone from Texas thinks it is the greatest place in the world? )</font>

If we have to explain, you wouldn't understand. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #22  

I slept in a Comfort Inn in Frostburg one night on my honeymoon. I didn't think much of the area... of course, it was dark, and... I was on my honeymoon /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #23  

Texas is a very large state. In 1990 had a meeting to go to in Las Vegas, took the motorcycle. Left North Dakota on Sunday night, arrived in Las Vegas on Saturday night.

Decided to see the Alamo on the way there, stayed in Texarkana on Tuesday night, did not get out of Texas until mid day Thursday. Then stopped in San Diego for lunch at my sister's before heading into Las Vegas.

Needless to say I did a lot of standing when we got home.

The whole point of this post is that the variety of scenery that we saw in Texas was truly amazing. It is a very large and beautiful state and the people that live there have every right to be proud of it.

Personally, I am very happy to be where I am at and just visit these exotic places.

/ Texan's view of the world #24  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why is it that everyone from Texas thinks it is the greatest place in the world? I'm sure it is a fine place to live but it seems like every texan has to broadcast to the world how great it is.
)</font>

I grew up in California and have only lived in Texas for a little over three years now, so I'm not qualified to answer your question, but I do have some thoughts on the topic that I'll share.

One of the first things that I noticed here was the pride that everyone has for their state. There was no comparison to California. People here get Texas tatoos!!! Flags, stars or even the state!!!!

Their pride and love of their state is contagous and comparing what it's like to live in the ones I'm from, I can tell you Texas is whole lot better!!!

I think it's sort of like loving a football team or I guess, any sports team. Win or loose, a true fan is there no matter what. They love their team and will defend them against any odds regardless of the reason or merit of the attack.

I've been to most of the states in our country, there's only a few I don't like, and that's just a feeling I get from the people that live there. I don't think they care for their state one way or another. When you live in a state that the people love and are proud of, it makes a difference!!!!

Eddie

/ Texan's view of the world #25  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've been to most of the states in our country, there's only a few I don't like )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifI won't ask which ones. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Of course there's a lot more that I haven't seen than what I have seen, but I've been in some part of every state but Hawaii, and there's only one in which I saw no redeeming features. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And I'm not a native Texan myself; only been here a few months short of 50 years. I guess you could say the family came from Texas, but my grandpappy's family moved from Bowie to Indian Territory when he was 5 years old and we didn't get back until I was 16. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #26  

Because it is.

There are more beautiful states maybe, like Colorado, but the special thing about Texas is Texans.

Plus, we are the only state that was its own COUNTRY, and we are the home of the National Champion Texas Longhorns!!

And there is nothing better on Friday nights than Texas High School Football!

/ Texan's view of the world #27  

Pardon us for showing our pride. But if your state could boast these facts, y'all would be proud too! The following facts about Texas were compiled by Lone Star Junction based on the Guinness Book of World Records and other reliable sources.

* The State Capitol in Austin stands largest among all the states.

* The San Jacinto Monument near Houston is among the tallest columns in the world; at 570 feet, its about twenty feet higher than the Washington Monument in the District of Columbia.

* Texas has more counties (254) than any other state. Forty-one counties in Texas are each larger than the state of Rhode Island.

* Of the nation's ten largest cities, three are in Texas (Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio).

* Texas is the nation's leading producer of oil, natural gas, beef, sheep, goats, wool, cotton, rice...and, oh yes, watermelons.

* Today, approximately 23 million people live in Texas, only slightly outnumbering its 17 million cattle. Texas today is also home for about 3 million deer and 200,000 alligators.

* The land area of Texas is larger than all of New England, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois combined. It extends 801 miles from north to south and 773 miles from east to west.

* The Dallas/Ft. Worth airport is larger than New York City's Manhattan Island.

* El Paso, Texas is closer to Los Angeles on the Pacific Coast than it is to Port Arthur on Gulf Coast of Texas. Port Arthur, on the other hand, is closer to Jacksonville, Florida on the Atlantic Coast than it is to El Paso.

* Texas is the only state to have the flags of 6 different nations fly over it. They are: Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederate States, and the United States.

* Although six flags have flown over Texas, there have been eight changes of government: Spanish 1519-1685, French 1685-1690, Spanish 1690-1821, Mexican 1821-1836, Republic of Texas 1836-1845, United States 1845-1861, Confederate States 1861-1865, United States 1865-present

* Texas is the only state to enter the United States by treaty instead of territorial annexation.

* The state was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845.

* The capitol in Austin opened May 16, 1888. The dome of the building stands seven feet higher than that of the nation's Capitol in Washington, D.C.

* Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885.

* The first word spoken from the moon on July 20, 1969 was Houston.

* More land is farmed in Texas than in any other state.

* More US Presidents have come from Texas than any other state.

And, since Hurricane Katrina, Texas has more people from New Orleans living in it than Louisiana does. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #28  

Boring /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif We all have stats like that. Highest, lowest, mostest, leastest, biggest and of course bestest

/ Texan's view of the world #29  

I think one of the best things bout being from Texas is like when I was in the Navy...Seabees taht is....boys just call me TEX. You dont find many folks from other states who get named by their state /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Another thing thats nice about being from Texas is...when you go to another country, someone says, where you from...you say witha big huge TEXAS GRIN....Y'all IM From TEXAS! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and boy howdy do the girls go nuts. Ive never had problems with anyone who know I was a Texan except my wifes exhusband. I toold him I was gonna whoop him like a red headed step child and I never seen someone apologize soo quickly /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Yeah bein a Texan does yield its merits /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Texan's view of the world #30  

using your theory, i guess we can call ole RaT "CAL". i notice he specifies northern california. perhaps he doesn't want to be associated with certain parts of the state. just joshin, ya know /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif