Hey, what year would be a good year for a used

/ Hey, what year would be a good year for a used #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
I am getting rid of my old F250 truck and am considering a used Dodge 2500 truck. Dave Smith Motors in Idaho has a good selection of used trucks. I am looking at a 2500 and 4X4 in a diesel (is ther any other kind?) Problem is, I remember Mark Chalkey talking about how great the 1998 models were. I don't care for the noise of the older diesel models. Any advice here on a year to either select or avoid?

Whats the difference between a mega cab and a quad cab?

Thanks, Rat...

/ Hey, what year would be a good year for a used #2  
The mega cab is about 6" bigger than the ford crew cab that is about 4" bigger than the quad cab that in all reality is just an extended cab.

/ Hey, what year would be a good year for a used #3  
Did you see the sketch of Fords new Super Duty due in 2007-2008 yet? I don't know how close it will resemble the actual unit but it is supposed to be even bigger then the Mega Cab. Personally, I think the Mega cab is a joke as they only will put a 6.5' box on that truck. In any trade where you use a truck like it should be the 6.5' box is useless. Hopefully Ford won't pull the same stunt with their new truck.

Anyway, the new Fords rear doors are hinged in the rear and when open are like the current extended cab trucks where the entire entry is one big opening. Another feature that Ford added for some reason is a curved rear window. If the production truck has as big a curve as the sketch then I see a lot of broken windows in the future as the window curves out over the front lip of the box. They also put some big fenders on it. The sketch is very close to this concept truck Ford had out already.
tonka4.jpg

/ Hey, what year would be a good year for a used #4  
If you are limited to a Dodge I would try to get at least a 2000 or newer model. Dodge had a lot of quality control issues on the earlier Rams but so far I have not heard of anywhere near as many problems with the newer models.

/ Hey, what year would be a good year for a used #5  
Robert,
If you remember when the '99 came out, the "Tonka" concept (the one in your picture) was introduced to get you fired up about the new truck. The '07 is closer to the Tonka than the current model. Still not quite as dramatic ,but you shouldnt be disapointed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Hey, what year would be a good year for a used #6  
I'm planning on getting a f550 but instead of getting all the bugs worked out of another 6.0 I am waiting to see how the 6.4 works out.But, I hadnt heard that the cabs where going to be bigger.My crew cab is plenty long.Havnt seen the sketches.

/ Hey, what year would be a good year for a used #7  
I did like the sketch of what the production truck is supposed to look like. If it is close to the sketch I can see a lot of customizers having fun with the new truck.

I was not a big fan of the Tonka concept interior and hope Ford keeps the current interior with only mild changes. I would love to see Ford set this new truck up like they say and have it designed for the guys who use the trucks as a truck and not like they did the F-150 and design it for the homeowner who wants a truck to drive to work with. The integrated brake controller was a nice touch and made me wonder why none of the companies did that earlier.

As for the Dodge trucks, I like the pre 94 design a lot better. There was just something about those early extended cab Dodge trucks that I liked. The new trucks lost that look in my lowly opinion.

/ Hey, what year would be a good year for a used #8  
There were some rumors that Ford was going to start selling the F-650's with the F-350 box on them. Kind of a way to compete with International. However, I think Ford has pushed those plans back some with the trouble the industry is in right now.

My friends run the F-550 at their machine shops. That truck has taken some abuse but is built very strong. I have entertained the idea of getting one and tossing a styled work box on it but the F-250/350 works fine for our needs right now. That is the one thing I have always liked about Ford, there are a ton of ways to build one of their trucks up to fit almost every operation/owner.

As for the length, I agree. I think the current crew cabs are big enough but Dodge came out with one bigger so you know the other companies won't stop until they put a third row of seats in and still have a 8' box with duals.

At least Dodge finally has a true Crew Cab (Mega Cab). I was tired of the commercials where Dodge made it sound like they were doing something special by having "Four Real Doors /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif" I love all the commercials though. The fun part is trying to read the fine print where they tell you how they base their claim to be the top. I wonder why the fine print is so small though and only on for a second before it disappears /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I want a new truck now. Thanks a lot guys. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Hey, what year would be a good year for a used #9  
I hate to think we're hijacking the thread here..... The Mega Cab is prety nice. I'm not a big Dodge guy, but they did a good job on it. Lots of room, if you havent seen one. The rear seats even recline.

As for the '07 F-series. The interior is definitly different. I'm not sure I like it, but it does have more of the industrial feel you hinted to. Everything about the truck is bolder than the '06. There's no mistaking, it is a Ford truck. Same basic cab. The front end is totally different as is the interior. Honestly I didnt notice allot of change in the bed, but I'd bet it has that darn big blue oval in the middle of the gate(I hate that /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)..... The shows will begin in January, check one out..I think its going to be a hit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The aftermarket will love it, especially the 6.4L..... God help us /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW in case you havent seen these...... F-650

/ Hey, what year would be a good year for a used #10  
If you don't like the clatter of the 98 but do like the cummins, then you must get one of the 2002 and newer trucks with the new body style. They have eliminated the clatter, or at least reduced it to even a bit less than the duramax. Dodge has still never figured out a 5 speed auto but they did improve the old auto for the newest generation.

I am running the current truck into the ground at 139000 miles but when it expires my next pickup will be a used cummins like you described but with a shortbed. Why not get the 3500 version? It is available in single rear wheel and was a small increase in price over the 2500 when new for 900 lbs of additional legal cargo capacity over the 2500.

I own an extended cab pickup with the rear suicide doors. In real life they suck. They are better than no rear doors but not as good as they would be if they opened to the rear. The problem is when you are parked in a confined area like a parking lot or garage. The only way to open the rear door is to open the front door which leaves you trapped between them not able to load the cab. In the wide open though, they are fine.