Miller 210 MIG or Miller PLASMA 625

/ Miller 210 MIG or Miller PLASMA 625 #1  

ctc1111

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
I'm trying to decide if I should get a Miller 210 MIG welder or a Miller 625 Plasma cutter.
I'd be getting the MIG to replace my little old craftsman because it just won't weld thick enough steel.
But i also think a plasma would be pretty cool but i've never used one. How are they? What kind of gas do they use? How clean is the cut? i'm just wondering becuase i don't know if a plasma is even worth it or if i should just stick to the cut off wheel and sawsall for cutting the thick stuff.just wondering what other people though of the plasmas

/ Miller 210 MIG or Miller PLASMA 625 #2  
I don't know anything about the Miller Plasma 625, but I do know about the Millermatic 210 MIG. I actually bought the slightly larger model MIG, the MillerMatic 251. My plasma cutter is a Hypertherm 1250. You can look both of those up easy enough on the internet to see their stats.

If I had to buy one, I'd buy the MM 210 you are thinking of. The only difference between the MM 251 I have and the 210 is that the 251 is rated to weld 1/2" in one pass where the 210 is rated for 3/8" in one pass. However, in using both, I would be hard pressed to say that I can tell much of a difference between the 210 and the 251. Both do an excellent job and you will have a quick learning curve on becoming rather proficient on either.

I used several plasma cutters at industrial welding shops and sheet metal shops before deciding on the Hypertherm 1250. The 1250 has a recommended capacity of cutting 7/8" steel. It will cut 1 1/2" steel, but the resulting cut isn't much better than a high quality O/A setup then. On the low end plasma cutters I tried, there was a considerable amount of slag on the back side of the cut metal and their cutting speed was rather slow. A Hypertherm 600 would suit most people well, as it cuts 3/8" very nicely and at a good clip.

I have 3 stick welders, one TIG welder and the MM251. I almost always end up using the MM251. I think you'd find the MM210 the same. Actually, I have a friend who just bought a MM210 and he wants a MM251 now. I may work out a trade with him. I've welded 1/2" material just fine with a MM210 before. The MM210 is one of the best all around MIG welders available.

Using a plasma cutter, you will end up with a rather clean cut that will require just a few passes with a grinder to make it look like it was cut with a cut off or chop saw. It's nice to have, but you can get by with a good torch and some grinding. You will not easily duplicate the output of the MM210 with anything cheaper. Good luck!

/ Miller 210 MIG or Miller PLASMA 625 #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But i also think a plasma would be pretty cool but i've never used one. How are they? What kind of gas do they use? How clean is the cut? i'm just wondering becuase i don't know if a plasma is even worth it or if i should just stick to the cut off wheel and sawsall for cutting the thick stuff.just wondering what other people though of the plasmas)</font>

I have a Miller Spectrum 375 plasma cutter. Plasma cutters do not use gas, they need clean dry air, and lots of it usually from a rather large compressor. Mine will do a great job on up to 3/8" steel, a good job on 1/2" and will sever 5/8" steel. Plasma cutters will cut aluminum but the rated thickness is less than 50% of what it can do for steel. I use mine mainly for cutting plate. I use a bandsaw for rounds, angles, flats, and tubes since it gives a much better cut.

/ Miller 210 MIG or Miller PLASMA 625 #4  
I own a millermatic 210 and a airforce 625 and I can't live without them. They are an excellent choice and will last for years.

/ Miller 210 MIG or Miller PLASMA 625 #5  
On the subject of "clean,dry air" get yourself a Motor Guard air filter and put it inline between your plasma cutter and your male or female fitting you connect your air line to.

Motor Guard filters use a dessicant cartridge to remove air borne moisture and oil. When the dessicant cartridge gets used up, a roll of common toilet paper does the job just as well much, much cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have the filter mounted right on the back of my plasma cutter.

/ Miller 210 MIG or Miller PLASMA 625 #6  
Yep, I have a MotorGuard connected right to the plasma cutter, then back to another filter/regulator, then back to the main line filter/regulator/water seperator and then back to the compressor. Some people also have a stand alone dryer in there too but for the occasional use the MotorGuard should work just fine.

Attachments

• 795967-IMG_0157a.jpg
    795967-IMG_0157a.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 273
   / Miller 210 MIG or Miller PLASMA 625 #7  
I never knew what a MotorGuard filter was until the fellow at the auto parts store uptown told me he used one when he painted his antique cars. Maybe they aren't as good as a refrigerated air dryer but for point of use application they can't be beat. Besides, every household has a few rolls of toilet paper always laying around.

I don't think, however, that I'd want to return the roll to my wife for household use after it came out of the cannister. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif