Silver Member
    Tractor
    Several Kubota M7040's

Default Miller 210 MIG or Miller PLASMA 625

I'm trying to decide if I should get a Miller 210 MIG welder or a Miller 625 Plasma cutter.
    I'd be getting the MIG to replace my little old craftsman because it just won't weld thick enough steel.
    But i also think a plasma would be pretty cool but i've never used one. How are they? What kind of gas do they use? How clean is the cut? i'm just wondering becuase i don't know if a plasma is even worth it or if i should just stick to the cut off wheel and sawsall for cutting the thick stuff.just wondering what other people though of the plasmas

Tractor
    Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.

Default Re: Miller 210 MIG or Miller PLASMA 625

I don't know anything about the Miller Plasma 625, but I do know about the Millermatic 210 MIG. I actually bought the slightly larger model MIG, the MillerMatic 251. My plasma cutter is a Hypertherm 1250. You can look both of those up easy enough on the internet to see their stats.

If I had to buy one, I'd buy the MM 210 you are thinking of. The only difference between the MM 251 I have and the 210 is that the 251 is rated to weld 1/2" in one pass where the 210 is rated for 3/8" in one pass. However, in using both, I would be hard pressed to say that I can tell much of a difference between the 210 and the 251. Both do an excellent job and you will have a quick learning curve on becoming rather proficient on either.

I used several plasma cutters at industrial welding shops and sheet metal shops before deciding on the Hypertherm 1250. The 1250 has a recommended capacity of cutting 7/8" steel. It will cut 1 1/2" steel, but the resulting cut isn't much better than a high quality O/A setup then. On the low end plasma cutters I tried, there was a considerable amount of slag on the back side of the cut metal and their cutting speed was rather slow. A Hypertherm 600 would suit most people well, as it cuts 3/8" very nicely and at a good clip.

I have 3 stick welders, one TIG welder and the MM251. I almost always end up using the MM251. I think you'd find the MM210 the same. Actually, I have a friend who just bought a MM210 and he wants a MM251 now. I may work out a trade with him. I've welded 1/2" material just fine with a MM210 before. The MM210 is one of the best all around MIG welders available.

Using a plasma cutter, you will end up with a rather clean cut that will require just a few passes with a grinder to make it look like it was cut with a cut off or chop saw. It's nice to have, but you can get by with a good torch and some grinding. You will not easily duplicate the output of the MM210 with anything cheaper. Good luck!

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace

Tractor
    Kubota B2710, IH TD6-62 dozer with Drott 4n1 bucket loader

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But i also think a plasma would be pretty cool but i've never used one. How are they? What kind of gas do they use? How clean is the cut? i'm just wondering becuase i don't know if a plasma is even worth it or if i should just stick to the cut off wheel and sawsall for cutting the thick stuff.just wondering what other people though of the plasmas)</font>

I have a Miller Spectrum 375 plasma cutter. Plasma cutters do not use gas, they need clean dry air, and lots of it usually from a rather large compressor. Mine will do a great job on up to 3/8" steel, a good job on 1/2" and will sever 5/8" steel. Plasma cutters will cut aluminum but the rated thickness is less than 50% of what it can do for steel. I use mine mainly for cutting plate. I use a bandsaw for rounds, angles, flats, and tubes since it gives a much better cut.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    kubota l3430

I own a millermatic 210 and a airforce 625 and I can't live without them. They are an excellent choice and will last for years.

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd shuttle/Massey 1085

On the subject of "clean,dry air" get yourself a Motor Guard air filter and put it inline between your plasma cutter and your male or female fitting you connect your air line to.

Motor Guard filters use a dessicant cartridge to remove air borne moisture and oil. When the dessicant cartridge gets used up, a roll of common toilet paper does the job just as well much, much cheaper. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have the filter mounted right on the back of my plasma cutter.

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace

Tractor
    Kubota B2710, IH TD6-62 dozer with Drott 4n1 bucket loader

Yep, I have a MotorGuard connected right to the plasma cutter, then back to another filter/regulator, then back to the main line filter/regulator/water seperator and then back to the compressor. Some people also have a stand alone dryer in there too but for the occasional use the MotorGuard should work just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd shuttle/Massey 1085

I never knew what a MotorGuard filter was until the fellow at the auto parts store uptown told me he used one when he painted his antique cars. Maybe they aren't as good as a refrigerated air dryer but for point of use application they can't be beat. Besides, every household has a few rolls of toilet paper always laying around.

I don't think, however, that I'd want to return the roll to my wife for household use after it came out of the cannister. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]