Part tractor, part truck

/ Part tractor, part truck #21  
Re: Part tractor/truck-Original 1938 Comfortractor

No, I think top speed was about 25 mph and I guess they only manufacturered 150 units...

Slightly ahead of its time.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-48044-JFM3BW5205SigFile.JPG

"You are what you eat, drink, think, say and do..."

/ Part tractor, part truck #22  

Don't know how fast the UDLXs would go, but I saw a program called Classic Tractors on RFDTV the other day which featured one called a Friday Tractor. According to its owner, he had clocked it at 55mph in road gear and he said he still had a little throttle left./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif The show even featured footage of the owner driving the tractor down the highway and getting many puzzled looks from the other motorists. The tractor had a tricycle front end, which must have made the handling really spooky at those speeds. I wonder where you can find tractor tires that are rated for highway speeds?/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-29930-MJBTractor.gif

I love the smell of diesel in the morning./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Part tractor, part truck #23  

At that ime, and earlier, it was not uncommon to tak a Model-T Ford, take most of the body off, maybe add a second tranny for gear reduction, and presto you have a tractor.

There have been a few of these on Ebay over the last year, but I can't recall what they were called. Something liker a doodgle something or another comes to mind, but I don't remember... Maybe a doodle bug?

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Part tractor, part truck #24  

They were called Doodlebugs. My grandfather had one many, many years ago. They also used Model A Fords to make the same type of thing. I have seen examples with two 4 speed truck transmissions hooked back to back driving a large truck rear axle with R-1 type tires. With both transmissions in low gear you practically have to drive a stake in the ground to tell if the thing is actually moving./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

18-29930-MJBTractor.gif

I love the smell of diesel in the morning./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif