Dealers on this site and cheap customers

/ Dealers on this site and cheap customers #1  

RickO

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota G1900
I wonder if the dealers on this site feel the same way about cheap customers as we (those doing tractor, lawn work for people) do about cheap people. By cheap, I mean people who want something for nothing and don't understand the costs associated with operating a business. I'd be curious to hear some of the dealers chime in on your cheap customer stories.

I have had people try to get me to drive 20 minutes one way unload my tiller and till their garden for $30 dollars. Not even worth loading my tractor. Anyway... Lets hear your cheap customer story and Dealers lets here from you...

/ Dealers on this site and cheap customers #2  
I just finished reading this TBN thread which touched on this.

CtTreeGuy's comments in particular caught my eye; I thought he showed immense restraint by not mentioning his insurance rates. Even if he works alone his self-insured comp rates are astronomical (+- 43%, just for picking up a chainsaw); and I don't even want to know what his General Liability costs are.

Unfortunately there are plenty of Fly-by-Night operations out there willing to take your money; and there are even more people willing to give it away. Too bad they're the one's who b**** most when somebody takes it.

/ Dealers on this site and cheap customers #3  
I have one customer who's trees I pruned and treated for several years that only wants me to come to his place when he is home. He always has 20 to 30 minutes worth of tree, lawn, or shrub questions to discuss with me when I get there. He hasn't yet figured that I increased my hourly rate by almost 50% over what my other customers pay when I work at his property.

/ Dealers on this site and cheap customers #4  
I'm sure there are some good stories. I love a good deal, I am cheap. Now here's the secret to happiness.... if you don't like the price, don't take the job or make the sale. If you find yourself without work or sales, then maybe you should rethink your price or chnage your line of work.

That dang free market works pretty good.

/ Dealers on this site and cheap customers #5  
Happens ALL the time. Come to the lot, at first act like they might be a buyer, then try to pick your brain because they have a tractor in need of repair. Or call and do the same thing. I always say (and it is very true) "you might as well be talking to your sister or mother...I pay good people to do mechanical work because I am a mechanical moron. However, I have a very skilled mechanic who can go over your tractor at shop rates".

Worst I can think of is one fellow who brought his tractor in on a trailer wanting an assessment for trade in (or so he says). I tell him the mechanic is not here now, leave it, we'll go over it, and I'll call you (he had not called ahead of time). He made it clear he wanted a blow by blow of the trade in figure (in fact, he insisted on talking to the mechanic as to "why" it was worth a certain amount)...and I told him what we would do is tell him how much he would have to add to it to buy any given unit on the lot. Turns out what he expected was a free diagnostic check up--he had NO interest in buying.

I found it interesting that once I was clear with him what we would and would not do, he seemed to feel no shame in admitting what he was trying to pull off. I even offered to have the mechanic go over the unit (at shop rates....$45/hour) since it was already here--BTW, he was having significant engine issues according to him---and he refused.

I have come to the conclusion that many of these people truly believe that any dealer will take advantage of customers at every opportunity, so they feel justified in trying to take advantage of a dealer. i.e., they feel they have a valid reason to be a jerk. The rest who do this are just jerks for no reason.

Mind you, I see this as different from the guy who comes by, buys $20 worth of filters he could have gotten at Walmart, and then asks a couple of operating questions because he bought the tractor privately and has nowhere else to go. I like him better than the guy who wants the same info for nothing on a busy Saturday when we have real shoppers. It's all in understanding (or NOT understanding) what it takes to make a business run, and that time AND information = money.

/ Dealers on this site and cheap customers #6  
I've been on both sides of the track on this issue. I've priced items that are only worth so much to me personally. I won't pay more than that. I'll do without before I pay what I consider "too much". On a couple occasions, I know that I "insulted" the seller/service provider with my offers.

I've also gave people prices on what I want for something I'm selling, or a service I provide, only to have then go balistic over my price. I simply tell them to go seek another price from someone else if they don't want to pay MY price.

It's called haggling. You never know just how cheap you can get something done until you ask.

And I seriously believe that 90% of those people giving ridiculously low offers actually KNOW how much it should cost to get what they want. They just like to see if they can beat you down.

My father wouldn't give a nickel to see a mosquito eat a bale of hay. He was a good business man. He knew how to price his work. He also knew how to get a bargain. You can't succeed unless you try.

All that being said, if you don't get your price, move on.

/ Dealers on this site and cheap customers #7  
I was in the motorcycle/ ATV business for about a decade. The thing that I hated was the customers who would yell and raise a stink for the slightest thing. "MY CALIPER NUT IS STARTING TO RUST, I WANT A NEW ONE FOR FREE!". Not mentioning they sank it in the water last weekend. Yes, there are legitimate gripes, but you'll quickly see a trend develop with these types.

I would rather pay them to go buy a competitor's brand. But, that is something they'd like, so I didn't.

Usually, I'd start telling them that I could add the $60 pickup charges to their bill and they would stop yelling.

I guess its a good thing that I didn't own the business or I would have spoken my mind a lot more frequently.

/ Dealers on this site and cheap customers #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( its a good thing that I didn't own the business or I would have spoken my mind a lot more frequently )</font>

Nah, if you own the business you're even more careful to not antagonize any more people than you absolutely have to. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Dealers on this site and cheap customers #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( its a good thing that I didn't own the business or I would have spoken my mind a lot more frequently )</font>

Nah, if you own the business you're even more careful to not antagonize any more people than you absolutely have to. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )</font>

Bird, I own my business, and I will not hesitate to suggest rude and obnoxious people seek service elsewhere in the future. I'm polite but I encourage them to go away. If they call for service again without an apology we are booked for the next three weeks, why not try another service facility?

I used to let rude customers push me around but I realize they will never change and I will never like it, so I don't put up with it any more.

/ Dealers on this site and cheap customers
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I just finished reading this TBN thread which touched on this.

CtTreeGuy's comments in particular caught my eye; I thought he showed immense restraint by not mentioning his insurance rates. Even if he works alone his self-insured comp rates are astronomical (+- 43%, just for picking up a chainsaw); and I don't even want to know what his General Liability costs are.

Unfortunately there are plenty of Fly-by-Night operations out there willing to take your money; and there are even more people willing to give it away. Too bad they're the one's who b**** most when somebody takes it. )</font>

Yep, that is an interesting thread. My brother and I trimmed trees professionally for 3 years. I was his ground crew. I had a couple of close calls. Tree trimming is one of those jobs where people don't realize the risk and the liability insurance you have to carry.

You wouldn't want the cheapest tree trimmer to do your tree job. Trust me.