How much money in a 5 gal water jug?

/ How much money in a 5 gal water jug? #1  

kc5dlo

Gold Member
I have been putting my change in a plastic 5 gallon water jug since about 1998. I have allways said that I would use the money to buy an implement or put towards another tractor when it gets full. Well, it's almost full now and I'm getting curious as to how much it will be.
Does anyone have an idea of how much money I might have? I am going to wait till its full to start the counting but i figure that will be less than a month from now.

/ How much money in a 5 gal water jug? #2  
It really depends on whether you are talking pennies, nickels, dimes or quarters.. If it is a mixed lot I would be pretty hard to calculate I guess..otherwise you can calculate the value by weight.

You may have to use a FEL to carry it to the bank though..

Are you planning on rolling the money yourself? I dont think the bank will roll it for you anymore. They do have those change machines that charge like 8 to 9% to count it for you (? Moneystar or something similar). One of the money machines was offering to roll the money for no charge if you would accept a amazon.com gift certificate instead of cash..

Let us know how much it is.. I have about 3 to 4 inches of pennies in the bottom of one of those office water cooler bottles, so Im way behind you in ready to redeem... LOL

good luck

Brian

/ How much money in a 5 gal water jug? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( charge like 8 to 9% )</font>
There is a bank in the wash dc area that doesn't charge. And you don't have to be a customer. The machine is in the lobby, you dump the coins in and then take the ticket to the cashier.

FWIW.
Neil.

/ How much money in a 5 gal water jug? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are you planning on rolling the money yourself? I dont think the bank will roll it for you anymore. )</font>

If you mean "count it," it is hard to find a bank that will do this free or cheap. You should try your own bank first, of course.

But I don't think banks will accept hand-rolled change any more. I could be wrong about that. Maybe it's only around here, but I think they got slugs too often.

Cliff

/ How much money in a 5 gal water jug? #5  
Sounds like a good contest. "Guess The Amount of Money in kc5dlo's Jug".

My guess is that you will have more than enough for an implement. At night, I throw my mixed change in a small bowl I keep on the dresser. Every few months it gets emptied and wrapped. There's usually around $60 in it. I'd guess you could have $4,827.93 unless there are a bunch of pennies in it. Please let us know what it amounts to. My one son has been dropping his change into one of those jugs for a couple years, but there's only about 4" of money in it so far...............chim

/ How much money in a 5 gal water jug? #6  
Let me see, we could fill a pint jar, count it and multiply by 40. I hope I got that right. I hope you have a loader on your tractor, you'll need it.

/ How much money in a 5 gal water jug? #7  
kc5dlo, based on my own experience of putting random amounts of change in a 5 gallon bottle, you will be able to buy both. A down payment on a tractor with an implement. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Brian

/ How much money in a 5 gal water jug? #8  
I've been making the mistake of putting my change in one of those widemouth plastic bear shaped cookie containers that animal crackers came in from Costco. Too easy to dispense money I guess, I have been collecting/ tossing loose change in there for years and still only have about an inch and a half in the bottom. Does metal evaporate if not sealed?? Maybe rats? Likely kids!!

/ How much money in a 5 gal water jug? #9  
I'm going to guess between 3-4000$, depending on how many pennies you have. (I separate them out from the silver.) Once brought a nearly full 13 oz coffee can into a store because they needed change; we counted out $135 in silver. Another time I counted out about 1/2 gallon in pennies (I was really, REALLY bored that winter) and got around $27.

/ How much money in a 5 gal water jug? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have been putting my change in a plastic 5 gallon water jug since about 1998. )</font>

I'd guess you have about $2,800.

Now, if it was a five gallon milk jug, or a five gallon paint bucket, that would be a completely different story. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cliff