know about modern video surveillance equipment?

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #1  

TractorLegend

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 DK 45HST SE w/ FEL
Is there a forum for security type video monitoring equipment for say installing in my shop (business) for keeping tabs on stuff and customer interaction?
I call out the companies like ADT and the salesmen are of course biased toward what they offer...
they sell/ lease/ install various numbers of channels of DVR recorders and I see some companies like on ebay have server computers or video cards for your own computers to accomplish the same thing...I think.
And I was thinking to install myself maybe 6-8 cameras to have motion sensor recording and one with audio recording in the office and hopefully remote viewing via internet...
anyone???

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #2  
Tractorlegend, having been in law enforcement, and viewing many tapes that were completely useless, I would suggest that you find a setup that has clarity and can be easily digitally copied. If it can't be used to identify the suspect or used in court it's useless.

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #3  
I've got a guy we use here on the Navy base for any security needs we have. Some of the gear we've used can get a liscence plate at several hundred yards.

He is strictly a designer/installer and seems very knowledgable in his craft (I worked security equipment for state dept. for a few years) and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase something from him.

PM me if you would like his company info. I think he would be happy to let you do the install (mount cameras and hardware, run cable) and then come in for the final programming.

Or I can get back to the office tomorrow and send you a link to an internet vendor. If your just looking to record a few cameras, that might be the cheapest way.

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #4  
I researched this myself a while back, and there are computer programs that will do what you want, use motion detection to start recording and phone a number to alert you. I believe you could even monitor them from your home location via modem. I never followed thru, but I believe CNET downloads had them. I saw some of the videocards with multiple inputs, possibly they come with a program to do this. If not a Google search should bring them up. I'm not aware of any forums for this subject, but I'll bet there are some. Everything else is covered. I think you could just buy USB videocams and not need a dedicated videocard.

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #5  
TL,

There is PLENTY of quality equipment out there like you are wanting. From pinhole cameras up to and including anything else you could/would want. Look in your nearest big city phone book for a store called "Spy Shop" and see if you have one nearby. I don't know it they have an internet sight or not.

There are also a good number of different manufacturers making what you want too. The technology and quality has come a long way in just a few years. I used to work with a lot of that type of equipment, and bought a lot for my clients too.

No, I'm not in the security business, but for the sake of discussion,that's close enough. Oh yeah, and if it makes you feel any better, you are far from the first person wanting to do this, needing to do this because of employees, for whatever reason.

PM me if you have any difficulties.

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #6  
The sky's the limit on video surveillance equipment, but to echo what TXDON stated, digital recording is the best.

If only everyone knew what I know about some banks and their systems.

However, if you are just looking for an inexpensive system,
X-10 has some fairly decent equipment which is wireless and can be connected to a slow-time video recorded which can be as much as 100 foot away. As a matter of fact I have about 10 of these little babies all over my property.

http://tinyurl.com/ac7zs

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If only everyone knew what I know about some banks and their systems )</font>

And how many businesses do you know that have highly visible, but dummy or phony cameras that make no pictures at all? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #8  
And in a bank at that! LOL

Actually, federal guidelines kind of dictate to the banks though. If they are going to be insuring the deposits, they got to have camera's that work. Digital recordings that go to a hard drive are the best.

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #9  
I have no idea what the federal guidelines are now (yesterday was the 17th anniversary of my retirement /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif), but a few of them came into being while I was a detective sergeant working burglary & theft and I had to visit a few banks to "advise" them on security.

/ know about modern video surveillance equipment? #10  
I stopped at walmart this morning and saw they carry something called HOmeland something. Think it was a complete setup (minus recorder maybe) for <$100. It was wireless, so could be mounted a lot of places.

I might check that out next spring to cover my autos in the drive.

ron