Greetings from a new laptop

/ Greetings from a new laptop #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
I just bought a laptop computer. I had been wanting one ever since I retired & had to turn in the one I had. Once we moved into this trailer for a few months, I decided to go ahead & dive in. I got Dell Inspiron 9300. The screen is huge for a laptop - 17". I plan to use it as a 2nd computer in the whouse, but will rely on it here in the trailer. No way I'd want to fly with it, it is to danged heavy.
I've managed to get my IE Favorites imported by emailing them to myself. I tried the same thing with Outlook for my list of contacts but without success. Does any one know how I can go about this? Even better, can you explain it so that I can do it?

Thanks,

Jack

/ Greetings from a new laptop #2  
Windows XP has a pretty cool "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" that actually works pretty good at getting your favorites and My Documents files moved across.
To move your Outlook stuff, are you using actual Outlook or Outlook Express? Outlook is easy, Outlook Express is not so simple.
Also, If you are comfy w/ the Windows file system you can open the C: drive, look under "Documents and Settings" folder, find your username and most of your personal files will be somewhere in that folder, favorites included.

/ Greetings from a new laptop #3  
TDog

On your old machine go to - File - Import Export

choose these setting (I do not know what order) choose save to a file ,but you can choose any of the formats (comma seperated value, etc), High light your Contacts, them select where you want to save it & the name.

Move that file to you NEW LAPTO ~ YEA!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Then do the opisit - File - Import Export - Import - import froma file - choose the same format you select - thats it!!

Feel free to ask if you need more help.

/ Greetings from a new laptop
hudr & Holzster,
Thanks - - I've found were my Outlook [not OE] info is stored, & I tried to send those files to myself via email attachments to get them onto the laptop. That worked for my IE favorites, but not for Outlook Contacts. And unfortunately, since these new machines don't have floppies anymore, I'm wondering what I export those files to. What am I missing. Somethiing obvious, I bet. But not to me.

Thanks,

Jack

/ Greetings from a new laptop #5  
TDog,

Are you setup on a network? Just copy and paste to where you want the files to be stored on your new laptop.

As an alternative do you have a flash drive? Use that to transfer your files. It's much faster and will hold more data than a floppy. My flash drive is 1 gig as compared to 1.44 MB on a floppy.

Kevin

/ Greetings from a new laptop #7  
As has been suggested, you really ought to invest in a USB flash drive. They have come down in price quite a bit lately. I picked up my 1GB for about $60. barring that, you could always generate the file then burn it to CD.
Also, look at the post that directs you the Microsoft website. thats good info. Hint: when it asks you WHERE you want to save the .pst file, change the path so something easy like the desktop. The default location is buried somewhere on your hard disk and can be difficult to locate.
Good luck

/ Greetings from a new laptop
Thanks all. I got that flash drive on my way into New Orleans today. When I got back, moving my contacts & calendar to the laptop was a breeze. I had been intending to buy one to use to back up stuff, & this gave me the push I needed.

Now I just hope I dont lose it - sure is small to hold a gig of info.

Jack

/ Greetings from a new laptop #10  
Flash drives are small, but I have had them go through the wash with no ill effects /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Glad you got it done. BTW, did you get a docking station for it? I have an older Vaio I got a good deal on so I took the $$$$ I saved and got a docking station off Ebay. Man, it is great. Leave the big monitor, keyboard and mouse all hooked up and when I get ready to leave, just undock and I'm packed! I highly recommend one if you use the laptop a lot around the house and travel w/ it.