Bosch Spark Plugs

/ Bosch Spark Plugs #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
I went to the auto parts store to buy a set of spark plugs for 2002 F150 V6 and all they had in stock was Bosch Platinums. I said that would be fine b/c it was listed on their website as a plug acceptable for my truck. The lady behind the counter proceeded to tell me she does not recommend them for domestic vehicles, just foreign. I think she is wrong on this recommendation. It is pregapped to my truck's specs and I also have them in my 70 Chevelle b/c they hold up better than the old AC R44TS plug. What do you guys think of this? Does it really matter if I use Bosch instead of, say, motorcraft or autolite? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Bosch Spark Plugs #2  
No.

/ Bosch Spark Plugs #3  
Our company is Bosch's authorized auto system service agent for Western MA.

It does not matter a whole lot which brand you use - Autolite, Bosch, NGK, etc. In some cases they are the same anyway . . Bosch makes ignition parts for the domestic carmakers that are sold under their brands. Bosch is the world's largest automotive parts/systems supplier.

What does matter is the type of plug.

For most common sizes we (Bosch) have varying grades of plug. The basic or copper plug is intended for older engines where the plugs will be changed out every 15,000 miles.

Then we go into platinum plugs, which have a longer life in "good" motors.

By "good" I mean a motor that does not burn oil or foul the plugs. Platinum plugs can't be cleaned so in that environment they won't last longer.

We then go to the double/triple/quad tip platinum plugs. These are meant to be fired with modern high energy ignition. They are not designed for older engines with point type ignition.

These "exotic" plugs are meant to last 60-100k miles per the manufacturer specification. They are what you'd use in any late model car with plug replacement intervals of 60k or more.

Note that you could use a basic plug in that new motor, but it would only last 15-30k miles.

/ Bosch Spark Plugs
Thanks for the info. Her reply stumped me b/c I've been tinkering with cars and tractors for a while and have never heard that before. I purchased the standard Bosch Platinum. I try to change plugs ever 70K regardless. Ford says every 100k but I feel better doing it before that point.

/ Bosch Spark Plugs #5  
Guys,
I would like to respectfully disagree.. Totally... I have professionally worked on Ford vehicles for over 15yrs now.. That being said, I couldnt guess at the number of Bosch or NGk plugs I have removed from Ford vehicles for intermitant misfires. They are surely good plugs, however, I would only recomend MFG specific ignition components for a given vehicle. Motorcraft-Ford, AC-GM, etc..... I have used Autolite plugs in Fords, because nothing else is available, and they used to be the same plug years ago.

I wish I could give you some electronic reason why this is, but unfortunatly I cant. Comon sense would tell you that the electrons dont wouldnt care, but in this case I'm a firm believer they do.

/ Bosch Spark Plugs
Would you say the plugs were fouled? Was the engine in good shape? My truck is in good shape, the engine is maintained regularly and so on. Bosch was the only plug they had available...no Motocraft, Autolite.

/ Bosch Spark Plugs #7  
I've seen it in all types of vehicles. How many miles do you have on the truck, is it critical that you do a tune up now? Just my recomendation, I would wait and get Motorcraft plugs(no I dont get a kickback).. They will serve you better in that truck.

/ Bosch Spark Plugs #8  
BTW,
Ford recomends 100k with double platinum plugs, but I have seen 150k on them with .060" gap(factory setting it .050-.055)

/ Bosch Spark Plugs
I have 70k on it now. I bought the truck with 37k miles on it and do not know if it ever had a tune up. I change the oil regularly (3k miles), replace the air filter every 9k, fuel filter every 20k and clean my throttle body 2-3x a year. I pour some injector cleaner in my tank at every oil change. The truck is running fine, just trying to stay on top on maintenance b/c i drive 25k miles a year. I appreciate the input. If Motorcraft makes a better plug, I can track some down. Since you work for ford, what can you tell me about the 4.2l V6 and the 5 spd manual tranny? They pretty reliable?

/ Bosch Spark Plugs #10  
I've been running the bosch platinums for the last 90,000 miles in my 98 GM with the 5.7 vortec. They work just fine. I recommend that you NOT leave the plugs in more than 50,000 miles. Mine were very worn at 50,000.

The stock plugs are AC delco platinum plugs which are a poor excuse for an 8$ plug and GM/AC should be ashamed. The AC plugs use these silly little metal pucks on the ground electrode to receive the spark. The little pucks don't stick to the electrode too well and half of mine had fallen into the engine at 50,000. These plugs should be recalled.

Anyway, bosch platinums are cheap and return great mpg. If the installation causes an intermittent miss that is any worse then what you have now then remove them. They are only a couple bucks each.

If I were to change plugs it would be to the NGK or Nippon-denso iridium plugs that are supposed to provide smoother idle.