WOW what a difference in my internet

/ WOW what a difference in my internet #1  

mlinnane

Bronze Member
Tractor
mf 165
I just installed a satellite for internet WOW my response time has speeded up by about 30 times and I feel like I died and went to haven. I was too far out for DSL, leased line and we will never see a cable company so this was the only answer. And what is the best part is it is offered by an agr company.
if any people interested email and I will give you company name.

/ WOW what a difference in my internet #2  
What company did you use?

I'm using Direcway for my satellite internet connection and I'd be hard pressed to recomend it. When it's working properly, it's wonderful. But every now and then, it's totally worthless.

Saturday night the weather was clear and cool. Not a cloud in the sky and we couldn't lock in on a signal. It lasted all night long and even Sunday morning it wasn't opening web pages every time.

At $60 a month, I'd expect better service. My options are bringing in a phone line and going back to those days or waiting for something better to come along. I'm sticking with sattelite for now, but sure wish I had another option.

Congratulations and good luck,
Eddie

/ WOW what a difference in my internet #3  
I totally think that the way to go is Wi-Fi with the Counties and local governements doing the job. The cabel companies and phone companies are operating in a monopoly or, at bestvery little regulation. They are sticking it to the consumer. If Wi-Fi internet is built by municipalaties the cost would be to benefit the consumers and not the cable companies. I only pay 15 Euros a month for DSL 1.2mgs a second.

I tried to get my mom on Broadband but the only option was the cable company at $50 a month. That is a rip off (IMHO). If municipaliets built and owned the infastructure, like they do the roads, service could be offered for much much cheaper.

I feel sorry for the high rates most Americans pay for high speed Internet, and even more sorry for people who only have satelite service, which is usually priced even higher.

/ WOW what a difference in my internet #4  
I just got Direcway last week too. The new DW7000 satellite dish seems to be pretty good. Takes some getting used to the latency but boy do pictures and video load fast.

Better than dial-up, and even ISDN (which is what I used to have).

They have a pretty good promotion right now so you don't have to pay the huge install fee up front if you don't want to.

/ WOW what a difference in my internet #5  
I have had WildBlue for a couple of months now, and have been very pleased. Eddie, I have had about 2 hours in two months when I could not acquire a signal. A little less expensive than DirecWay, too.

/ WOW what a difference in my internet #6  
<font color="blue"> I just installed a satellite for internet WOW my response time has speeded up by about 30 times and I feel like I died and went to haven. </font>

Response time 30X? With its latency issues, how can a satellite based internet connection have faster response time than a ground based connection? Inquiring minds want to know. What and who were you using for internet service before you went to satellite?

And is there any reason you can't just tell us the name of your provider?

/ WOW what a difference in my internet #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have had WildBlue for a couple of months now, and have been very pleased. )</font>

Jeff, I'm glad to hear that. My coop electric company is offering service thru WildBlue. If I lay out the installation fee and monthly charges, it's nice to know that I'll be getting a good product. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ WOW what a difference in my internet #8  
A co-worker of mine uses Wild blue and is very impressed with their service.

/ WOW what a difference in my internet #9  
I've looked at WildBlue's web site, and also AgriStar, which I suspect is the 'agricultural' provider refered to by the OP. Both seem to be reselling DirecWay. WildBlue says their customer service is U.S. based, which is not what I have heard about DirecWay, so that may be a large factor in why they seem to be held is better regard than DW.

/ WOW what a difference in my internet #10  
I don't know about the others, but when you call for help with Direcway, you get a person in India. They will all have phoney names, but if you ask, they will tell you their real nams and explain it's just easier for us to say the phony name they use.

They are also very helpful and will spend all the time it takes to resolve a problem. Of course, it's always turns out to be a sattelite issue and the next day it's fine.

It's much better now than it was a year ago. Hopefully next year it will be better than it is this year.

Eddie