changing Stihl spark plug

/ changing Stihl spark plug #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
I bought a new spark plug for my Shihl 026 chainsaw. It takes several pulls to get the 1st bark out of the saw - -then I know it is ready to start on the next pull or so. I hope the new plug will get it going without so many pulls. However, I am unsure how to go about changing it - - do I have to remove the shroud to get to the plug? Or am I supposed to be able to get at the plug without its removal? Is anyone familiar with this model Stihl?

Thanks,

Jack

/ changing Stihl spark plug #2  
Tdog, on the 3 Stilh saws that I own, the wrench that you use to remove the chain guard is the same wrench you use to remove the spark plug. No shrouds need removed, just take the spark plug wire off and remove the spark plug. Very simple.

/ changing Stihl spark plug #3  
I believe the plug is located under the same cover as the air filter and pre-cleaner element near the carb. I'd have to have my 024 or 029 in front of me to be able to tell you for sure. Make sure and gap that plug to the proper gap, don't remember off hand what that gap is.

Your saw starts about the same way every Stihl I have ever started starts, goo dluck changing that feature!

/ changing Stihl spark plug #5  
I've had an 026 for about 8 years. It has always taken 3 or 4 pulls to get it to bark. To change the plug, remove the cover for the air filter, remove the plug wire and using the chain wrench remove the plug. It's a very simple job. If you have any sawdust behind the air filter guard be sure to blow it out before you take out the plug.