Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #21  
John,

Re: needing a fast CPU speed to have smooth DVD movie playback.

That depends on whether you are decoding the DVD in hardware (on a card) or in software. The software decoders do need a fast CPU - but the hardware decoders have dedicated circuitry that will do it for you ...

Patrick

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #22  
glennmac,

I do presentations all the time on a variety of computers, and I just put it togheter with powerpoint and then burn it to CD-R. (Sometimes I joke that I am a foil engineer since I spend more time making slide foils than real engineering). Take it to the computer you want to present with and drop the CD in and go. Works great. Also good for backup of projects, but not for your whole computer, just not enough space.
Also CD-Rs are just about free if you buy a spindle of them and then put them in the CD sleeves. Fellows makes some cheap sleeves. Those jewel cases cost more than the CD-R.

DVD burners are on the way but cost way to much to date. The benifit in the future will be far great capacity than the 650 mb of a CD-R.

Also have you used a wintel machine resently? I have used alot of different computers going back to PDPs and including alot of macs (going back to the origional, the IIs, IIcx, and the more resent units). I would not buy a mac.

I have a dell that will take a CD and floppy combination and a zip disk or batteries. Works great.
As the other guys mentioned you can upgrade to a DVD burner via USB when the cost is reasonable.
just my two cents....

(I can't help myself.......) Don't buy a computer whose major selling feature is its color! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Ever see those adds for macs in pretty colors? Would you like your tractor in pink or purple?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #23  
Yes, most slower cpu's had to depend on the Video hardware to spruce things up... if he had a fast cpu, then it wouldn't matter... at that point the added hardware would be a bonus...

{that's what happens when you give an abbreviated and quick answer... Ugh! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif}

By the way, did you know there is over 1000 ways to go from New York to Los Angeles... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #24  
I just went shopping at Dell to see what was available at what prices. I think I'd opt for "8X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive [add $220]" and be done with it.

(oops -- glennmac wants a mac) I'd stick with dvd and add an external burner.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by huckflynn on 10/17/01 08:43 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #25  
<font color=blue>I have used alot of different computers going back to PDPs</font color=blue>

Me too. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue>including alot of macs (going back to the origional, the IIs, IIcx, and the more resent units)</font color=blue>

Me too. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue>I would not buy a mac.</font color=blue>

I would not buy a PC. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I think diversity is good! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW
<font color=blue>I would not buy a PC. I think diversity is good! </font color=blue>

How PC of you, Harv!

I'm not buying a laptop based on color. Not that I need world class speed, but I dont think Dell makes a laptop nearly as fast as the 667 mhz G4 Powerbooks announced yesterday, and the ones that are close are fatter and 3 lbs heavier.

I think I would use a CD-RW more than a DVD, but I'm also thinking along Huck's line. The CD-RW is about $100 more expensive than the DVD. For about $160 I can get an external burner that is much faster than the internal ones, and then I'll have the DVD for its greater capacity and for the movies I might get interested in, assuming I knew where one gets DVD movies.

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #28  
Harv,
Some how I thought you might disagree.

At least we can both agree that the mac and the pc both beat the days of punch cards and 8" floppies./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Glennmac,

A lot depends on what you want to do.
For publishing and graphic arts the Mac has better software; quark express, etc..

For engineering wintel is the way to go since your software options are far greater.

I also think that for general use the wintel has more software options as well.

Now lets be real about the speed issue. How fast can you type?
For work I often run simulations of electronics that take days or in some cases weeks to complete on a machine with multiple processors. These applications really call for a Dec Alpha or similar high end machine.

But a portable? You want to type, word process, do your presentations, and most importantly look at and talk about tractors. 9 out of 10 users will not be able to tell the difference between the latest greatest processor and last quarters latest and greatest.
Therefore, I would save my money and buy a fast machine but not the latest processor.

just my opinion.

Fred

<font color=blue>I would save my money and ... not [buy] the latest processor.</font color=blue>

How un-TBN of you, Fred!

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #30  
I got a sony and am very happy with it. It's light and small for travel, and I have a docking station (that's also small) for my office that includes a CDRW/DVD