Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #1  

glennmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L3430
I am thinking of buying a new laptop. The Mac models I am considering offer either a CD/DVD slot or a CD/RW slot. There is no CD/DVD/RW combo offering. I have never watched a DVD or burned a CD. I have had my firm burn CDs for me a few times (at the office) so I would have a backup of Powerpoint presentations I give to audiences. I will be using the laptop for personal as well as business and I do a fair amount of air travel on business. Any thoughts on which option I should choose.

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #2  
You used to work for IBM and you're buying a Mac?! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I'd vote for the CD/RW, but then watching movies, either in a theater or on TV is not one of my passions.

tractor.gif

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #3  
Glennmac,

I agree with MikePA. you would be much better served with the CDRom-RW.

The only advantage to having the DVD would be the amount of data available to you on the disk. Can't remember the actual numbers but it is significant. I got a DVD in a PC 3 yrs ago and have never ever used the silly thing as a DVD player.

Terry

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #4  
I would agree with Mike, though I would add that IMO, DVD will ultimately displace CD's for software disbursment just as CD's displaced floppy disks for same.

I'd do the CD/RW

Richard
(on desktop, has CD/RW and DVD)

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW
Yeah, many years with a DOS PC on my desk that was Martian to me. When I left IBM in 1993, my 10 year old son showed me how to use a Mac in 15 minutes at Staples. I bought them for my home office. Then I went to work for a large law firm in Hartford and have been sentenced ever since to Wintel hell. Now I use only an IBM laptop, and I would never use a desk system again. But I am probably going to leave my firm, so I want to get a modern laptop and go back to Mac.

Back on subject, can I burn things other than business files on a CD? Can I not have a separate device to burn CD's in the event I want to watch movies?

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #6  
Ok now it is my understanding that the dvd functions as a cd-rom. I was told when I ordered the dell that I could copy cd's on the cd writer by putting them in the dvd. The guy told me that the dvd was the same as having a cd. Is this not true?

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #7  
Yes, DVD drives will read CDs and most will read finalized CDRs and CDRWs.

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #8  
Glen,
Yes you can have external CD burners connected via USB or Firewire. Unless right now you have a true need for a DVD drive get the CDRW. By the time DVDs completely replace CDs for software distribution (probably in 2 years or so) it will be time to buy a new laptop (unfortunately computers don't last as long as tractors /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif, but at least they are a little cheaper /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif). In the meantime you have been able to successfully back your files up and are able to copy stuff created on your laptop to other computers easily.

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #9  
I have a DVD in my ThinkPad. Have never watched a single movie ...

I'd go with the CDR/W - very handy for back-ups.

Patrick

/ Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW #10  
A DVD player will recognize and play a CD. I beleive that some DVD players also work as a CDR - not to be confused with a CD-RW. If you don't need the ability to rewrite a CD ( which most people dont) look at whether the DVD will act as a CDR.

Craig