Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota L3430

Default Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW

I am thinking of buying a new laptop. The Mac models I am considering offer either a CD/DVD slot or a CD/RW slot. There is no CD/DVD/RW combo offering. I have never watched a DVD or burned a CD. I have had my firm burn CDs for me a few times (at the office) so I would have a backup of Powerpoint presentations I give to audiences. I will be using the laptop for personal as well as business and I do a fair amount of air travel on business. Any thoughts on which option I should choose.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    NH TC25D

Default Re: Laptop--CD/DVD vs. CD/RW

You used to work for IBM and you're buying a Mac?! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I'd vote for the CD/RW, but then watching movies, either in a theater or on TV is not one of my passions.

Tractor
    John Deere 4100 HST

Glennmac,

I agree with MikePA. you would be much better served with the CDRom-RW.

The only advantage to having the DVD would be the amount of data available to you on the disk. Can't remember the actual numbers but it is significant. I got a DVD in a PC 3 yrs ago and have never ever used the silly thing as a DVD player.

Terry

Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

I would agree with Mike, though I would add that IMO, DVD will ultimately displace CD's for software disbursment just as CD's displaced floppy disks for same.

I'd do the CD/RW

Richard
    (on desktop, has CD/RW and DVD)

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota L3430

Yeah, many years with a DOS PC on my desk that was Martian to me. When I left IBM in 1993, my 10 year old son showed me how to use a Mac in 15 minutes at Staples. I bought them for my home office. Then I went to work for a large law firm in Hartford and have been sentenced ever since to Wintel ****. Now I use only an IBM laptop, and I would never use a desk system again. But I am probably going to leave my firm, so I want to get a modern laptop and go back to Mac.

Back on subject, can I burn things other than business files on a CD? Can I not have a separate device to burn CD's in the event I want to watch movies?

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

Ok now it is my understanding that the dvd functions as a cd-rom. I was told when I ordered the dell that I could copy cd's on the cd writer by putting them in the dvd. The guy told me that the dvd was the same as having a cd. Is this not true?

Tractor
    2003 New Holland TC24D

Yes, DVD drives will read CDs and most will read finalized CDRs and CDRWs.

Tractor
    2003 New Holland TC24D

Glen,
    Yes you can have external CD burners connected via USB or Firewire. Unless right now you have a true need for a DVD drive get the CDRW. By the time DVDs completely replace CDs for software distribution (probably in 2 years or so) it will be time to buy a new laptop (unfortunately computers don't last as long as tractors [img]/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif[/img], but at least they are a little cheaper [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]). In the meantime you have been able to successfully back your files up and are able to copy stuff created on your laptop to other computers easily.

Platinum Member

I have a DVD in my ThinkPad. Have never watched a single movie ...

I'd go with the CDR/W - very handy for back-ups.

Patrick

Tractor
    Kubota L4610HSTC

A DVD player will recognize and play a CD. I beleive that some DVD players also work as a CDR - not to be confused with a CD-RW. If you don't need the ability to rewrite a CD ( which most people dont) look at whether the DVD will act as a CDR.

Craig

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast