Wouldn't be able to keep beef

/ Wouldn't be able to keep beef #1  

Cliff_Johns

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4110
Wouldn\'t be able to keep beef

Just an observation:

The thread on Black Angus got me to thinkining about raising beef when I retire. Fact is, I could do the work, handle the problems etc., but I think I'd name every one, go out and scratch them behind the horns every day, hand feed them corn cobs on Sunday's and then, when the time came, I'd be stuck with cattle I couldn't bear to send off to be slaughtered (Hey, Jilly tastes pretty good with potatoes and onions!). I'm kind of a wuss that way. I've spent too much time away from the farm, I guess.

I know there's no logic to it. The beef I eat was raised just that way. Still, I've lost that farmer's practical attitude toward animals.

Cliff

/ Wouldn't be able to keep beef #2  
Re: Wouldn\'t be able to keep beef

You might be able to scratch em behind the ears, but not behind the horns. I think they are polled and black angus come without horns. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Wouldn't be able to keep beef #3  

As soon as an animal gets a name it's protected.

Those big eyes on the calves can really draw you in! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Wouldn't be able to keep beef #4  

I had a freind with a small farm when I lived in MD.
He got two head to raise and slaughter for his own use. His wife named them both. They would come running when she came out and call them. He was dead afraid she would not be able to have them slaughtered. But no problem. She loaded them into the trailer on the fated day.

The funny thing is she could not stand to have any of the chickens killed. The place was over run with them. It got to the point that he was going out and destroying the eggs.

Phil

/ Wouldn't be able to keep beef #5  

I go over to a friends house, who has a few new heads of cattle grazing in his pasture.

Neat I think, one walks up gently..... sniffing me as it gets near.

I say, "What's this ones name?"

"Next" came the answer.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Wouldn't be able to keep beef #6  

The previous owner of our place got two piglets to raise for pork. Lola and Reggie are buried behind the barn. They died of old age.

/ Wouldn't be able to keep beef #7  

Started raising Angus 15 yrs. ago. Keep about 8 brood cows. Wife would name them all. Domino, Oreo, DoubleStuff, black & white theme as you see. She would not name the steers we slaughter for our meat. Of course the all have ear tags with numbers. One year early on I had a pic of one we slaughtered, he was #27. First meal was a roast and I placed the pic on table, did'nt bother anybody after first bite. She has since quit naming them.

/ Wouldn't be able to keep beef #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'd be stuck with cattle I couldn't bear to send off to be slaughtered )</font>

I have an old-time farmer friend that teaches me a lot of different things about farming etc.

I don't like some of the lessons very much. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Wouldn't be able to keep beef #9  

I heard about a family that got two feeder calves. The kids wanted to name them- parents were reluctant until the kids revealed thier chosen names- LUNCH and DINNER.

/ Wouldn't be able to keep beef #10  

Tbone, brisket, all good names. Number 2 and number 3 also.

Nothing wrong with keeping cattle as pets.

The latest thing I see people doing here is to keep a few cows to be bred each year and then they sell the calves in fall. The cows/bull are the pets, the calves are their farm product. When a cow gets mean, or fails to take being bred, it goes in to auction with the calves.