Retirement home in Virginia?

/ Retirement home in Virginia? #1  

Scozz

Silver Member
Tractor
Kama 454 w/Kokyer 195 loader
I'm beginning the thought process of buying land for my future retirement home (won't be for another 15 years though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, I figure land won't be getting any cheaper, can hunt , camp on it in the mean time and get it tree'd to my liking while I wait). I'm thinkin' VA or WV .... I want the seasons but looking for a bit more moderate (and affordable) than my current location, NY. I guess I'm just soliciting general feedback ... Thoughts of this, or other states that are more condusive to retirement. Accesss to good hospitals. Favorable taxes. Reasonable land (10-30 acres). Any other words of wisdom from others ... Scozz

/ Retirement home in Virginia? #2  
Well I am sitting in a place classified as Northern VA now. many years ago, it was classified as Central VA. So that ought to tell you something.

I have some bad news for you. Land prices in the 2 hour range to Washington DC are outrageous. IF you CAN FIND land. Most developers have already staked their claims. The counties of Prince William, Northern Fauquier, Stafford, Spotslvannia, even Orange and King George are under tremendous growth pressures. Last night I saw an advertisement for land, 27 acres for 1.1 million, marked down from 1.5 million by Warrenton.

I would look farther South, beyond Richmond, or farther West, beyond Culpepper. Anywhere near an hour of the I95 corridor is horrible as far as traffic goes.

Send me a PM if you want more specific details on prices and I can give you some personal insights for this area. It is a GREAT area, but you have to balance traffic, people, land prices and what not...

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Retirement home in Virginia? #3  
The lower taxes and land prices are almost a thing of the past in my area. Example: 1994 there was lots of land being sold for $500 per acre. That same land today is going for $2,000 per acre. Taxes did the same.

I live in northern Halifax co. It's been a hot spot for years for folks moving from the north here. Most all the farms being sold are being broke up in to 5-50 acre tracts. I guess what I see as higher land and tax $$$$$ is still cheaper than many to the north of me. They're still moving in but not as fast as a few year back.

They pick this area because it's rural. Some call it the sticks. We have Lynchburg 30 miles to the north. They have great hospitals and medical care. South Boston 30 miles to the south with your normal stores. Lowes, Wal-Mart and many others. Danville is about 40 miles. Then there's smaller towns like Gretna,Brookneal and Altavista which are 10- 16 miles away. Of course any closer to the towns or cities the price of land goes up. Then there's Roanoke about 60 miles and Raleigh Nc. about 70 miles. So we sit in the middle and it's been attractive to folks wanting to get back to the country but still have access to the city life.

It's been good for folks wanting to sell their land. The biggest change for me is I don't know who my neighbors are anymore. Back in 1990 I knew everyone in 5 miles by name. Today I don't know half of the folks that live here. I have made a few new friends and enjoy them greatly. But many move here and just want to be left alone. And that's fine but I wasn't raised like that. We were brought up in this area to help each other. It's hard to do that with some that won't even speak. I've seen folks move here that made some high $$$$ mistakes. And those mistakes could have been avoided if they had just asked their neighbor for some free advice. I guess it's that way all across the country though. If you go into a new location and start flinging money there going to be some one there ready to take it.

If you're looking for great hunting this is the place. 3 years ago I had to get stamps to remove deer. Killed 27 off 300 acres that year. Got them back under control for the time being. Great fishing on the Staunton River. Strip bass every spring and in the last few years there's been some great cat fishing. They pull 20 - 40 pounds cats out regular now.

My biggest suggestion to anyone about to buy land anywhere is talk to the neighbors that join that land and out several miles before buying. You can wind up with the place of your dreams or get stuck with some dirt you can only sell to the next guy that didn't do his home work. Remember Realtors talk nice but they want that sale no matter what in most cases.

/ Retirement home in Virginia?
Mike thanks for the info and the PM ,,,, guess I'll just keep pluggin along ... Scozz

/ Retirement home in Virginia? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Last night I saw an advertisement for land, 27 acres for 1.1 million, marked down from 1.5 million by Warrenton.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Wow, does someone think the new FAA center is going to bring the tech. corridor out to the "sticks"? Was out that way last fall for a job. Took over two hours to get from 495 to Mannassas via 66 at lunchtime.....haven't been back since.

/ Retirement home in Virginia? #6  
Scozz, 13 years before I retired I had the same thoughts as you did. I needed to find some land before I could not afford it. Well I bought the land and am now retired and I am glad I bought it when I did. I could not afford it now, it has tripled in value. The taxes are kept in check with Texas Ag exemption or if need be the wildlife exemption. You are wise to think ahead. Good luck with you land search. Oh, by the way if you come to Texas we only have 3 seasons Summer, Spring and Fall. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (but remote land is 3-5K per acre).

/ Retirement home in Virginia? #7  
<font color="blue"> have some bad news for you. Land prices in the 2 hour range to Washington DC are outrageous. IF you CAN FIND land. </font>

I'm amazed at what's happening over in the I-81 corridor too!
My wife and I have been interviewing for jobs in the Hagerstown/Martinsburg/Winchester area, but even if we take the jobs, I'm not sure how we will afford the real estate... everything is about TWICE the price of comparable housing up here in Ohio.

/ Retirement home in Virginia? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( in the Hagerstown/Martinsburg/Winchester area)</font>

I am fortunate enough to have scoped out that area too, since the job takes me there. A few years back I had popped over a hill on I-81 and saw the new suburbs of Charlestown.
Yikes .
Our hunt for land ended shortly there after. Of course it started up again with the old farm purchase. I figured your going to stick your neck out, you might as well get it over with.

Real Estate just isn't going to be "affordable" in this area. Those days are over....

/ Retirement home in Virginia? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( over two hours to get from 495 to Mannassas via 66 at lunchtime..... )</font>

As soon as the HOV lanes are complete, and the HOT debate over, you can make the cruise back and forth in the standard hour and a half. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That work should get you 5 lanes to Gainsville. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unreal, eh? Oh, the light rail VRE is expanding too, into that area, word has it the Mannassas Line will extend to Culpepper.

More options for us....

/ Retirement home in Virginia? #10  
If I was going to retire to WV, I would definitely stay away from the Eastern Panhandle as it is quite expensive and traffic is awful. I've lived there all my life and the changes in the last few years are crazy. You take a back road that used to have farms and orchards lining it and now there are subdivisions everywhere.
In WV, one of the best counties to retire to is Preston. Land is still cheap because good paying jobs are far and few between. Land can be had relatively cheap and you are still close to Morgantown which has a great hospital and University. My parents own a summer place up there that seems like it is in the middle of no where, but actually is only 1 hour from Morgantown and 30 minutes from I-68. You can PM if you are interested in more info.