Being an American

/ Being an American #1  

scruffy

Veteran Member
Tractor
None (at present)
I recieved this from one of My numerous cousins in Oregon today....Don't know the author...but I agree with it. Sorry for the length...but it's a worthwhile read.
I don't know how many of you on this list have read the papers lately and noted the negative comments given out by Editors, new columnists, self appointed officials of certain organizations, etc., regarding our flag waving (sic), false show of patriotism (sic); especially since the events of September 11th.
All of these comments and commentaries have piled up in my consciousness and frustrated me. I've held back on writing the "Letter to the Editors" columns and giving each a good tongue lashing.
Well, my cousin in Michigan today sent me a narrative from a gentleman who feels exactly as I do, and HE says it better than I every could. So I thought I would share it with you, because I know that many of you feel exactly as I do about these matters.
Eugene Maynard afblue@ka.net

Channel 12 News in Long Island, New York, orders flags removed from the newsroom and red, white, and blue ribbons removed from the lapels of reporters. Why? Management did not want to appear biased and felt that our nations flag might give the appearance that "they lean one way or another".

Berkeley, California bans U.S. Flags from being displayed on city fire trucks because they didn't want to offend anyone in the community.

In an "act of tolerance" the head of the public library at Florida Gulf Coast University ordered all "Proud to be an American" signs removed so as to not offend international
students.
their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on September 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled in New York and Washington D.C. when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. In fact, our country's population is almost entirely comprised of descendants of immigrants; however, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some native Americans, need to understand.

First of all, it is not our responsibility to continually try not to offend you in any way. This idea of America being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language, and our own lifestyle. This culture, called the "American Way" has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. Our forefathers fought, bled, and died at places such as Bunker Hill, Antietam, San Juan, Iwo Jima, Normandy, Korea, Vietnam,

We speak English, not Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society - learn our language!
"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some off-the-wall, Christian, Right Wing, political slogan – it is our national motto. It is engraved in stone in the House of Representatives in our Capitol and it is printed on our currency. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation; and
this is clearly documented throughout our history. If it is appropriate for our motto to be inscribed in the halls of our highest level of Government, then it is certainly appropriate
to display it on the walls of our schools.

God is in our pledge, our National Anthem, nearly every patriotic song, and in our founding documents. We honor His birth, death, and resurrection as holidays, and we turn to Him in prayer in times of crisis. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture and we are proud to have Him.

We are proud of our heritage and those who have so honorably defended our freedoms. We celebrate Independence Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Flag Day. We have parades, picnics, and barbecues where we proudly wave our flag. As an American, I have the right to wave my flag, sing my national anthem, quote my national motto, and cite my pledge whenever and wherever I choose. If the Stars and Stripes offend you, or
you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.

The American culture is our way of life, our heritage, and we are proud of it. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. We are Americans, like it or not, this is our country, our land, and our lifestyle.

Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion about our government, culture, or society, and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, the right to leave.

Barry Loudermilk
If you agree, pass this onto other Americans!!
It is time to take a stand!!

/ Being an American #2  
The only reply I can think of:

Amen, brother.

Bob Pence
18-33782-bobsig.gif

/ Being an American #3  
Copied for passing on. I would add to his thought that we have reveled in a cultural richness made up of many ethnic backgrounds, which is positive...to assume that guests in our country or our citizens will be offended by symbolism of our nation seems ignorant and misguided.

Speaking as a person who has lived and traveled internationally, I can say that I have never been "offended" by the behavior of natives of the nation...afraid sometimes, impressed sometimes, struck by irony sometimes, but never "offended."

/ Being an American #4  
"If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture and we are proud to have Him."

I do not believe in God - Having said that, your belief in Him does not offend me (after all, my wife an most of my family are believers).
But this is the premise that our country was based on - freedom of religion which is the same as freedom from religion. This was clearly stated in the separation of church and state clause.

It is my belief that a person should not have to find another part of the world to live in if they are offended by someone else's belief in God.

After all, many believers in God are offended by the aforementioned separation of church and state clause - especially if these "signs" are legally removed from governmental buildings (under Constitutional law). Accordingly, should they find another part of the world to live in?

Yes, let us behave in a patriotic manner and "take a stand for our country against those who cannot tolerate our MULTIPLE WAY'S of LIFE. But let us not act with an intolerant, secular, holier than thou attitude.

We are a diverse country and therefore we will forever be divided by our differences, but at the same time united by our acceptance of them.

Jugger

/ Being an American #5  
Nice Scruffy. Not overly religious but I personally am glad I have God to turn to in a time
of crisis or anytime else. Those that don't are missing out. Just my opinion.

/ Being an American #6  
I'm with you, molerj. I can understand people believing in a different god from the Christ I believe in, but I can't understand believing there is NO god. I don't remember the exact quote I read quite some time ago, but something to the effect that those who believe in Christ and the Bible have to try to explain the pain and suffering in the world, while those who don't have to try to explain everything else./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ Being an American
Bird, molerj, I agree. OUR country was founded on those principles, and even the few who were agnostics at that time recognized the fact AND need for constitution as it was written. I cannot always agree with the Supreme Courts re-interpretations of what our founding fathers thought. How in the heck do they KNOW what they thought and meant? The meaning is quite clear in the words written.
P.S. - As for Christ, and the word of God, the Bible says it all.
The old testament is a part of that, and I can respect those religions that live by that portion of the bible...just wish they could accept the New Testament also!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by scruffy on 10/22/01 02:05 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Being an American #8  
I sort of agree, and disagree with Barry Loudermilk's comments.
<font color=blue>Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation</font color=blue>
Some were, some were not. As far as I know, no one took a poll. In one part of his inauguration address, Washington seems to almost be saying a prayer. On the other hand Thomas Jefferson, had no use for religion or God.
<font color=blue>"In God We Trust" is our national motto</font color=blue>
It is? This phrase first appeared on a 2 cent piece in 1864, after the Treasury dept. recieved numerous requests for a coin recognizing God. Probably had something to do with the war between the states that was going on at that time.
The following all appear on the great seal.(Our founding fathers were readers of Virgil and Homer, big time)
E. Pluibus Unum - everybody knows this one. Interesting that most people think it refers to many "people" It probably refers to the 13 colonies coming together as one. What ever the case it gets my vote.
Novus ordo seclorum - The accepted translation is: A new order of the ages. A new nation. Conspiracy theroists have fun.
Annuit Coeptis - This phrase lacks a subject, and must appear with the radiant eye. The eye is therefore the missing subject, and the translation would be: "It (the Eye of Providence) is favorable to our undertakings" or "Providence has favored our undertakings" or "God favors our undertakings." Whew!!!
With these minor iirritations out of the way, it seems like the letter writer's main beef is with the PC crowd. Which makes me ask. Who the heck are they?
I am not offended by, the word God, a cross, crucifix, star of david, crescent or by a hammer and sickle. Nor by the U.S. flag, or even the Confederate battle flag, jolly Roger, or martini flag. And no one else I know is either.
I'm offended more by actions than by inanimate objects. This PC stuff has become absurd.

Ernie
18-75442-sanjacinto_s2.jpg

/ Being an American #9  
Ernie is by all means PC. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

We all have to deal with the absurdity of trying to think about what we need to say in order to not offend anyone. Common sense has left the building!! I would offer that the first people to yell and scream about personal rights and freedom of the press are the same people who scream about being PC. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Terry