Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup?

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #21  
If you watch for a "program" vehicle, they are about giving away the HD trucks right now. The dealer demo's and program vehicle market is very soft, and deals can be had if you watch for them.

(Wife's uncle just bought a crew cab HD2500 Chevy with the 6.0 V-8 and 4000 miles for $15k less than sticker.)

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #22  
My experience is that one can get into a 3/4 ton truck for not too much more than many of the 1/2 ton trucks these days. When I was first looking for a full size truck I went with the 3/4 ton because it seemed like much more truck for not a lot more money. The big question will be the powerplant. Adding a diesel really jacks up the price, and running the numbers, it is difficult to justify doing it unless one is really driving a lot and pulling most of the time. That said, most owners get and want the diesel for resale reasons, among others. That would be a decision for you individually. The differences in pulling and operating plows, etc. would be large between the two duty trucks and honestly the 3/4 ton trucks these days ride great and handle like the smaller trucks. I have not regretted for one moment getting a 3/4 ton truck and likely would buy another one when I am ready. Good luck with your purchase.

John M

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #23  
Pete, I believe you are the type that when you find the truck you want you will be inclined to drive it as long as it is dependable. The reason I say that is my Father in law had a company that ran a fleet of 120 trucks in a seven state area mostly just to move people and small supply loads to and from jobs. When I ask him why he spent the extra money on ¾ ton trucks for such light loads he told me that they cost him less in the long rum due to less repairs. The heavier basic components just held up better for him with the high mileage use his trucks got. That was enough to move me into ¾ ton units and it sure is nice to have the extra capacities when the need arises.

MarkV

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #24  
When you go diesel you take a whack on payload. The chassis is rated for so much load. If the engine is heavier, you loose payload. Check this out, the mfr don't make this info easy to find.

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #25  
I bought a new diesel Dodge 2500 late last year. One of the reasons I used in justifying the diesel to myself was the potential for being able to obtain biodiesel in the future. With the world the way it is, gasoline shortages are something that may occur due to disruption of oil supplies. While large scale biodiesel production is some distance away, I plan to keep the truck a long time. In the future, it may be easier/cheaper to buy fuel derived from farm products than from petroleum.

For lower power requirements, flexible fuel vehicles that can burn either ethanol or gasoline are starting to make sense, too.

My $.02.

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #26  
If it were me, I'd keep the truck and simply take smaller loads. Who says you need to fill that 400 gallon water tank to capacity or fill the bed to the top of the cab with firewood? Save your money and your truck.

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #27  
<font color="blue"> In the future, it may be easier/cheaper to buy fuel derived from farm products </font>

Gasohol maybe ?

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #28  
Here is a page that discusses E85, which is what the flexible fuel vehicles are designed to burn.

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #29  
My daily driver vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma but when I need a real truck, I use my old F-350 flatbed dually. It has spoiled me with the things it can do that my little compact cannot. A full-size 1/2 ton will do a few things that a compact won't but not many and the HD trucks excel in those same areas. If I replace the old F-350, I would look for a newer model with 4WD and a crew cab and probably go with a diesel engine as well. Might as well go all the way up to a 1 ton. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeff

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup?
Okay, so I've done some investigating of options and think a half ton will do me. First, I have 500# of ballast in my truck bed to offset the weight of the plow. It gives me such good traction in snow I just leave it back there even when the plow is off. But that 500# has my leaf springs completely flat. I pulled up next to a brand new 1500 4x4 Silverado on the dealer's lot and transferred the sandbags; the new truck hardly sagged at all. So maybe my suspension is just tired first from the salt spreader the original owner had in the back and next from the loads I've been carrying.

I test drove a 2500HD overnight and was very impressed. It handled well, even over our nasty dirty roads. Rock steady in severe cross winds that have my half ton wandering all over the place.

This morning I took the 3/4 ton back and checked out a half ton extended cab Z71 overnight. Well, that was the plan. It wallowed like I was driving on balloons! I made it about five miles to the post office, then turned around and took it back. Hated the way it handled!

Instead I checked out for the night a regular cab longbed Z71. Basically my present truck in a new form with more bells and whistles. Stiffer suspension. Nicer interior. Nerf bars, aluminum wheels and fender flares. Push button gearcase, power windows and doors and mirrors. Same engine, same rear end ratio, but slightly better claimed mileage. Best, it's brand new so has no history of abuse, and all my add ons (timbrens, snow plow, studded snow tires) would fit just fine.

So we're run it thru its paces tonight and see if it's enough truck for us.

As for the water tank, my lovely and sage bride pointed out this morning that trading our 400 gallon water tank for a 200 gallon tank would cost a lot less money than buying a 3/4 ton gas guzzling monster truck! (Though it might not be as much fun!)

Pete