Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup?

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup?
The last two times were under warranty so the Chevy dealer did the work for free. Next time will not be free. Maybe I should try non-OEM parts.

Pete

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #52  
Speaking of U joints.. What are signs and symptons they are going out?

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #53  
Vibration, clunking sound when letting on or off the gas.
Lack of forward movement and long cylindrical tube bouncing down the road in your rear view mirror! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #54  
Hi Goodoldboy,
Redrocker hit the nail on the head. Vibration at a certain speed is a telltale sign on my Dodge. When the rear universal went I had that symptom and even crawled under the truck and tried to shake the driveshaft and still got no movement /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif My front univ just started to go the other day with the same symptom and I new right away what the problem was. You also may get a slight clunk going from reverse to foward /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty

ps keep them greased!

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #55  
Pete,
I took the plunge last year. I had a 2002 Ext cab 4x4 1500 w/ 4.8l engine and O/D auto. I could not get any better than 16 MPG with it. And that dropped to about 8-9 MPG when towing my tractor on the trailer. My truck was hit in an accident in mid 2003. After a month in the body shop I got it back. Between August and Dec. I went back to the shop for one problem after another. I decided around Xmas to trade it in on an 05. In Jan. 05 I picked up a 2500HD Ext.cab with 6.6 Duramax w/ Allison auto. It has 12,000lb towing cap. or up to 15,500 fifth wheel. Got just about every option they had for it.
I don't know why 5103Owner gets poor mileage, Maybe he has the gas engine? My point is this, I now average 18.5-19 MPG and 14 MPG towing and was told by other owners that the mileage will get even better after about 20k miles. So it is not the fuel guzzler that my 02 4.8L was and I can expect to get several hundred K miles on it. I am happy I made this choice.
Best of luck in your decision
One more thing was after my trade, the monthly payment was within $8 of my 02 payment.
George

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #56  
I have to agree with you about the duramax, I have had my 03 for 3 years now, it is a 2500HD 4x4 reg cab with allison trans. I have logged about 49k miles to date, and 43k of them have been with edge performance chip installed, prior to the duramax, I owned a 99 F350 4x4 reg. cab dually with a v10 , auto, and 4:30 gears, loved that truck, but it only got 10 miles per gallon with a tailwind. The duramax on the other hand averages about 18m.p.g. in the city and 21-24mpg on the highway, towing a 71 big block chevell that weighs 3800 lbs on a 18 foot open car hauler through the mountains on the PA. turnpike (I 76) the duramax averaged 19.7 mpg round trip with the chip set on +60hp, cruise speed was 65-70. Here is my opinion, if I can still afford it by the time I get ready to buy another one my next truck will be a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel 4x4. As of right now, I have a slight preference for G.M. strictly because of the allison trans, however I feel that the big 3 as a whole all make a very good fullsize pickup and anymore, all install a good diesel. If I cannot afford the diesel next time, I will buy a 1/2 ton, put some air lift bags on the back suspension and add sway control to my hitch and the half ton would work O.K. for me. Personaly for me though, I prefer 3/4 tons they ride decent anymore and I like not being able to tell the trailer is back there

/ Half ton vs 3/4 ton pickup? #57  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Because a partially filled water tank makes a more dangerous load. Unless it has baffles, the water will move on you as you accelerate, brake, and turn.

This is why most areas in the US require a tanker endorsement for Class-A and B licensed drivers(commercial). )</font>

Yeah, what Robert said! It felt like I was on the verge of losing control with half a tank!

Pete
Yep ya should never go out on the road half tanked.