Northern Tool and Equipment

/ Northern Tool and Equipment #1  

DaveNH

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2200
Does any one have any experience with Northern Tool and Equipment's power tools? In a recent catalog they have a 1" Rotary hammer for $129. If you recall I was going to do some granite slabbing and asked who made a good hammer drill. That is what I thought I could get away with but was strongly advised to get or rent a rotary hammer. I rented one for $56 for a full day and only got about 1/10 of the holes I needed drilled. I saw this tool advertised and figured ......
For $129, that about what I'd be into the project if rented the tool again.
Catalog says it will accept SDS bit, 0-800 RPM, 2800 BPM
Catalog Number 143384
Thanks

18-29411-dave.jpg

We're all in this together! (3)

/ Northern Tool and Equipment #2  
I'd say your buying light. I use a Hilti TE5 here in Mass and consider it undersize for drilling granite in the quanitites for splitting. Maybe you have a different approach but heating of the bits is the limiting factor in production work. Having seen a pneumatic hammer with an air discharge bit in action, there is no comparison, air wins hands down. Dust control is a must. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif SteveV

/ Northern Tool and Equipment #3  
Dave, I don't know anything about that particular tool; probably not the best, but given a choice of renting one for $56 a day or buying that, I'd have to buy it and give it a try. After all, if it lasts 3 days, it's more than paid for itself. And if it didn't, I'd return it for a refund.

Bird

/ Northern Tool and Equipment #4  
I'm with Bird on this one ... I've often bought tools that I don't plan to use often from a cheap outlet. Sometimes you're surprised and they last for years. Other times they just last the few days you need them.

Usually if you take your time and don't abuse them too badly (watch for overheating) they will last longer than you expect.

Patrick

/ Northern Tool and Equipment
Patrick,

I've got plenty of time!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Over heating is the problem I've encountered!
I totally destroyed two bits! Bits costed me $15 each
and after about 3 holes I busted or burnt or melted the carbide tip completely off!

18-29411-dave.jpg

/ Northern Tool and Equipment #6  
Dave, sounds like you work too much like me; not enough patience and working too fast. I'm an expert at burnin' up drill bits./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Northern Tool and Equipment #7  
Definition of \"Rich\"

I always liked those idiots on "Dallas" that all had money coming out all their orifices but still hated each other and lived in the same house.

My definition of "rich", not cars, houses, boats, women, OK, women,

but the main thing is being able to put a NEW or resharpened drill bit in my drill EVERY TIME I USE IT!, using them like a kleenex.

That would be the cat's tail for me.

Love those bits that just pull the drill through the metal, no more pushing and waiting, wondering why I just didn't get some bits sharpened!

del

/ Northern Tool and Equipment #8  
Re: Definition of \"Rich\"

Yeah, I know the feeling, del. I have a bit sharpener, but don't use it nearly as often as I should, and of course, even when I sharpen them, I manage to dull them again pretty quickly.

Bird

/ Northern Tool and Equipment #9  
Re: Definition of \"Rich\"

Two of my bit indexes are covered by warranty if they are broken. Doesn't cover dull bits. The one is covered from one quarter of an inch up to one half inch. Amazing how many dull bits I break and have to trade in for new ones./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

For sharpening the drill doctor does a nice job.

The cobalts sure do cut nice.

To be rich is to have a barn big enough to still have alot of extra space once all the good stuff is moved in.

Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

/ Northern Tool and Equipment
Steve

Found this one over on ebay.
Can you identify what type of bits it uses?

Bird,
Yes, I have to learn to work smarta not harda! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-29411-dave.jpg

Attachments

• 6-76906-0hammer1a.jpg
    6-76906-0hammer1a.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 63