Video surveillance equipment

/ Video surveillance equipment #1  

TractorLegend

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 DK 45HST SE w/ FEL
A while back I was inquiring here as to information regarding video surveillance equipment for my auto shop business.
This is what I ended up doing based on studying the issue and input found here.
Esentially there are two modern formats of recording video surveillance images- a dedicated DVR box to which you hook cameras or buy a specialized video card and install it in your computer, which comes in varying quality (rated in frames per second) and number of cams you can hook to it.
I ended up getting a GeoVision 8 channel card with streaming video quality.
I DO NOT recommend the company I bought from in Texas (CCTV factory) as their promised tech support is RUDE, and has very little knowledge, and no toll free number---definitely no service after the sale as promised! They also want to charge for damaged returns shipping that was not the shippers fault. Other companies will ship free if you buy 100.00 or more.
I can remote view over the internet if I leave the "server" computer on at the shop. There was a bit of work getting port settings figured out for a static ip situation.
I also upgraded my shop "server" computer with an Intel P4 3.0MHz hyperthreading chipset and ASUS compatible motherboard and a top of the line power supply. The GeoVision video card can give beter resolution in a de-interlace mode with the P4 chip stated.
I also have a separate 160 gig hard drive for the GV software and video recording. I mounted it all in a vandal resistant cabinet, shared with my business supplies/paperwork.
I have 6 infrared color- low light cams so far and audio recording capability which I haven't gotten to getting good microphone yet---its possible to remotely listen AND talk as well as operate a pan/tilt/zoom camera if one desired and remotely play back stored video files and a number of other features.
Most color cams revert to b/w in low light conditions.
I understand the specialized video card can give better resolution and more features than a DVR box according to sellers. You need good cams to get good resolution also.
I see Costco was offering DVR box/ camera systems for sale also.
I have about 2 grand into video equipment so far.
I opted to put another 600.00 into computer upgrades. I installed it all myself.
ADT company wanted 4300.00 plus taxes for a 9 channel DVR box and install of only 4 black/white cams only!
AVOID CCTV FACTORY IN TEXAS!! CUSTOMER REPELLENT!!!

/ Video surveillance equipment #2  
Mark,
I am getting ready to install a video system as well. Did you use any wireless devices. Any info. would help me on my learning curve as I have just begun investigating systems.

Ron

/ Video surveillance equipment
I haven't as yet used any wireless devices, my shop is not totally "finished" so I can run wires along joists etc.
My generic understanding of wireless is that infrared wireless is better than the radio wave type such as cordless phones.
The better wireless home theater speakers use infrared technology.
If/ when I do a systm at home I will likely venture into some wireless cams.
The GeoVision card is working ok, I'm having a bit of an issue remote viewing. I get it to work ok, but the loading of the java screen that it needs to load to view video (after I enter my network addy) takes longer than I think it should and loads the java console incomplete (packet issue? connection issue?) It loads fine on the shop network so i suspect a comcast issue or because my laptop at home is on a wireless router.
It's not set up for mac users hardly at all, so maybe the DVR box is better for those folks.
If you are just running 4 cams or so you could use a generic 12 volt wall cube type recharger to power them up instead of the 100.00 power supply. let me know if i can supply any other info other than AVOID CCTV Factory...

/ Video surveillance equipment #4  
Mark,
Thanks for the information.

Ron

/ Video surveillance equipment #5  
I have a Geovision 16 card and PC, and my experience has also been mixed. While the Geovision software allows you to do really good things with the signal, and be able to monitor remotely over the internet, my supplied PC keeps crashing, and it usually seems to happen on a weekend, when I need it the most. It doesn't do it regularly, but sometimes as often as once a month. All you have to do to get online again is reboot the computer, but I can't do that from home.......
Still trying to get this resolved after several tries. Other than that, I think it's a great way to go...........

/ Video surveillance equipment
I think the settings in the program at least on my version has a box you can check for auto reboot. I have the GV 1240.
You can also load latest software at their website i think.
It sounds as if it's your computer that is at fault crashing- windows likely- virus or the like. A clean install may be the easiest, least costly attempt.
It pays to have a really good power supply, board and P4 hyperthreading chipset for video purposes- most prebuilt computers lack in this area. I was amazed at the image quality difference going from another brand to Pentium4 3.0Ghz w/ hyper technology. You can view it on other brands fine but it's just better quality and more stable.
see www.computersonics.com for parts
My complaint with the GeoVision card is the lack of knowledgable support- I can't speak korean or chineese.
These cards dont take into account Mac users either.
The only irritating issue i have is on remote viewing getting the java screen to fully load the console---that may be a connection issue.