pcmcia adapter for desktop computer???

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Ok.. this one has stumped me. Guy in the next office over just asked me what he can do to use all of his laptop goddies on his home pc... His laptop goodies he wan't to use are pcmcia cards. I had no answer but promised him I would look. Does anyone make a pcmcia adapter for desktop pc's?

I'm almost thinking yes for one reason. I bought one of those zip 'click' drives a while back.. and the drive is pcmcia.. but comes with a usb docking station to copy the files to your desktop.. the docking station looks for all intents and purposes like a usd to pcmcia adapter, by configuration.. though i have never had anything plugged into my click docking station other than the pcmcia click drive...

??????

Soundguy

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #2  
I've seen pcmcia slots installed in 3.5 or 5.25 drive-bay mounts, but these were used salvage. I don't know what the original application was.

Maybe find them on Ebay?

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #4  
NewEgg sells one for $19.99 plus $4.99 three-day shipping.

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #5  
Yes, I have seen them before. They go in the card slots, so if you want to swap stuff often, you have to have access to the rear of the computer.

I don't know if they make USB external versions or not.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of things do these cards do that his home PC cannot? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Just out of curiosity, what kind of things do these cards do that his home PC cannot? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )</font>

Yeah I would be curious also. I have had about 4 laptops now in my day and for the most part the slot was used for network cards. Now most laptops have internal network cards and the slot in my now laptop of two years doesn't get used until about two months ago I bought wireless card for when I travel. My daughters new laptop even had a wireless built in. She doesn't even have the pcmcia slot.

murph

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #7  
I have the one mentioned above from Newegg...works like a charm. Use it with verizon wireless aircard. not bad for $25

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer???
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just out of curiosity, what kind of things do these cards do that his home PC cannot? )</font>

He has a high speed mobile internet card ( aircard? ) that he uses as he travels out of state every week. He dropped his regular dial up internet account on his home pc and just use dthe laptop as his sole internet account and machine... now he wants to get on the internet with his desktop again, and just wants to swap the card over... I mentioned he could setup a network.., etc.. but he also likes the wireless G /II/B card features on the aircard ( not that he has a wireless network at his house.. so the g/ii/b is useless.. but the wireless hi-speed inet would be usefull though.. )

Soundguy

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #9  
He should make sure the adapter is Cardbus compatible (32 bit) and not just PCMCIA (16 bit). I suspect his high speed wireless card is a 32 bit Cardbus card.

I agree with whoever said get one for a drive slot, so that he doesn't have to mess with the back side of the PC

/ pcmcia adapter for desktop computer??? #10  
That would make sense, I guess. No need to invest in another card.

Have you seen the wireless routers with the card slot in them? You put in your highspeed card and have a wireless access point anywhere you are. If he had one of those, he could come home, pop his hispeed card in it and have wirelss access to his hispeed account from any PC in his house that was wireless capable. I think some also have CAT5 jacks to connect wired devices, too.