Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town?

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #1  

JohnBoy45

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800DT
Hi, Here in Cookeville Tennessee the TRW plant is closing to move to Mexico and the plant will layoff over 500 people. What will all the 300 million people in the U.S. do for a job when all the companys leave to Mexico.

Is you town or city losing jobs?

Terry

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #2  
Mexicans are moving in. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town?
Yes this town I live in has about 5000 Mexicans living here but our good paying jobs are leaving to Mexico.

Terry

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #4  
When people want everything cheap, except for their labor, guess what happens? They're going to get cheap throw away stuff but no money to buy it with cause some other country took their job.

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #5  
I just typed and previewed 3 paragraphs to say baically what Billyp did, upon fixing one little typo I hit continue and forget I had to hit post this message again, dang i hate that. I could have been a veteran member by now if I felt like retyping all of those replies.

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #6  
Gotta love Bill Clinton and NAFTA.

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #7  
No Terry, around here, unemployment is nearly non existent and I imagine those that are unemployed are simply not willing to accept what work is there.

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #8  
Iroinically, jobs are leaving Mexico for China. Lowest cost of labor wins.

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #9  
I have seen numerous manufacturing type jobs leaving the U.S. Sadly, as Americans, we do not compromise with requirements for these companies. Let me give some examples. After WWII the U.S. rebuilt all the Japanese steel mills with modern electric furnaces. In the 1970's the EPA passed very strict environmental laws, since our steel mills used coal furnaces they were heavily burdened. When the U.S. mills asked the U.S. to help them since we (the U.S.) built the Japanese modern mills, the U.S. Government said no. Thus, the end of U.S. steel. Look at our Fuel costs. No new refineries have been built since the 1970's. Why? It's almost impossible to comply with EPA requirements. Yet, we can dump spent nuclear fuel in deep caves? I am not blaming the EPA, but our politicians allow these kinds of laws to pass without looking forward. As you can see, the extreme environmentalist people are winning. If jobs leave, people leave, and North America will be clean and free of people. Then you don't need wood or fuel, and the global warming issue is solved too. Look at China! Talk about an environmental nightmare! If the Chinese had to comply with the same standards, I doubt their products would be so cheap. Personally, I think we should charge tariffs on product made in other countries in which they don't meet the same environmental standard. That would force all the countries to raise their standards including the U.S.

In recent times, Bill Clinton gave Favored Nation Status to China. Not to mention, the Chinese gave a great deal of money to his interests. Why did the world love Bill Clinton? He gave our jobs to them... I am not saying Bush hasn't done this either, since he has done little to curb the problem. Overall, Congress and the Senate allowed this to happen, so we need to get busy beating on our Congressman and Senators.

In the 1950's Corporate America generated 30% of the tax revenue. Today, it's less than 5%. So, American Companies pay almost no taxes here, and still they don't stay. Wal-Mart creates lots of jobs where its workers are on Federal Aid due to their lousy salaries. So, Wal-Mart pays little in taxes and puts people on Federal Aid. No wonder the States and Federal Governments are hot on their trail. Remember when Wal-Mart used to "Buy American"? What happened to that? I am getting tired of seeing Made in China. I don't need a thousand dollars in JUNK! I will pay for quality products, and would love to buy American. Although, Ford and GM have created their own demise. Our Corporate CEO's are too greedy. I know the American Engineers design a quality product, but we let the bean counters choose sub standard parts to save money and create higher profit. Most of my vehicle problems aren't from workmanship, it's from using the cheapest possible part in a critical function.

I am on a rant... Let me stop now... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

/ Jobs moving to Mexico. Is jobs leaving your town? #10  
Since this thread is destined to be closed, I figure I'll reply while I can.

I used to work a an established industrial kiln company outside Philadelphia. Things were slow, and in 2000, the owners sold to a Mexican company that was also in the industrial heating business. Everyone was all smiles, assuring that no major changes were going to occur. Three months later, it was determined that the fabrication could be done in Mexico for less cost. Several months later, engineering was moved as well. They kept the existing engineers (3 of us) around as "technical advisors". I was lucky and found another job rather quickly. All remaining operations moved the following year.

Funny thing (well now it seems funny), I as well as others that were displaced are much better off now than five years ago.

(No political references made).