Texas Question for Bird

/ Texas Question for Bird #1  

BobT

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L175
Hi Bird,

Consider me a dope, and educate me please.

I have driven through Texas four or five times in my life, and all I ever saw was flat land and oil pumps.

Then today I came across this reference in an e-mail sales pitch:

"... enabled me to live in the Texas Hill Country,
drive a BMW Z3 hot-rod, own a pool, and travel as a I
please."

What the heck is "Texas Hill Country?" Apparently it is where the well-heeled live. But this is the first time I heard this term, and didn't know Texas had hills...

Can you enlighten me???

BobT.
A Indiana Boy

/ Texas Question for Bird #2  
Bob,

I just checked out your profile. You have 400 acres of tractor attachments and only 1 tractor? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Wow!

Disclaimer: This is intended to be a funny post!

Regards,
Dave "Gatorboy" Hoffmann
Fallston, Maryland
sm-gatorhead.gif

/ Texas Question for Bird #3  
Must be where all the moles live! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Actually, though not being Bird...Obviously, the Texas Hill Country is quite nice, and yes, they DO have some hills...not to be equated with mountains...very pretty area.

/ Texas Question for Bird
Scruffy,

I probably should have said Bird "or other Texan." I figured him being a fromer lawman and all, he'd know. Anyways, I just nee dsomebody knows more than -0-. You know about Hill Country??? Is there a specific region, or regions?

BobT.
A Indiana Boy

/ Texas Question for Bird #5  
Texas is big. Going through it a few times won't give you much of an idea what all is here. Yes, the Hill Country west of Austin/San Antonio is real scenic and popular to tourists. East Texas has some of the thickest piney woods anywhere. In far west Texas are mountains up to nearly 9,000 feet high. We have a pretty good variety of environments.

Alan L., TX

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info. I figured Texas was fairly big [/smile].

I have always gone thru via the Houston route, but have heard from many people how nice the Austin area is. I have seen photos in magazines of San Antonio, and that looks fabulous as well.

I may be driving West to Arizona again this winter, and will do my best to visit the Hill Country, now that I know it exists and have your assurance that it is worth going to see.

Thanks again.

BobT.
A Indiana Boy

/ Texas Question for Bird #7  
BobT,

Hey, I live in the upper end of the Texas Hill Country west of Waco. Not as pretty as more southerly portions of the range but it'll do. Basically, the hill country extends from northwest of Waco to west of San Antonio. I-35 is kind of the dividing line between the hill country and the blackland prairie. I think that the absolute prettiest section of the hill country is the upper portions of the Guadalupe river basin.

I too was surprised when I moved here 4 years ago. Not what you would typically think Texas looked like.

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

Fishman,

Thanks to you also for the info. Now I am going to get out a map and see where I need to go and what my options are. I am getting pretty interested in the area. If you guys and maybe Bird would open a "Kubota College" may I'd move there for a few years and learn how to "do things right"! Then again, my wife says I'm too old to learn anything new, so ...

BobT.
A Indiana Boy

/ Texas Question for Bird #9  
Bob,
Here is a good place to start to learn about Texas. It's a link to a portion of the Texas Parks and Wildlife website where you can search and learn to your heart's content. I hope you enjoy.

Lost Maples Park

JimI

/ Texas Question for Bird #10  
Bob, I've been outside most of the day, but looks like these other Texans have pretty well covered the answers. I live in the blackland prairie about 20 miles east of I-35, but my favorite parts of Texas are the pine forests of east Texas, the hill country, and the Guadalupe Mountains in far west Texas.

Taking I-10 northwest out of San Antonio will let you see a fair amount of the hill country.

Bird