How to connect 8 gauge wires ?

/ How to connect 8 gauge wires ? #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
I installed a new built-in stove last night and I'm not quite sure how to complete the electrical connections. I have a cable that comes up through the floor. I believe it is 8 gauge stranded wire. (3 conductor). The new stove has three conductors that are inside an armored (bx) cable. I have installed a box where the two cables meet and are secured. My question is simply, how do I connect the wires ? My first thought is wire nuts, but I've never seen any large enough to connect two pieces of 8 gauge. Do they make them this large or do I need some sort of bus bar connectors or clamps ?

/ How to connect 8 gauge wires ? #2  
I just replaced our cooktop. Similar to what you say. Wires inside armored cable, actually like flex conduit. The old one was wire nutted. I put the new in the same way reusing the old wire nuts. Don't know the actual wire size though.

/ How to connect 8 gauge wires ? #4  
Yes, they make wire nuts that can easily fit over #8 wires. The ones from Ideal and 3M are blue. I would use those over the split bolts. You do strip more of the wire with the larger wire nut. Tighten them tight.

/ How to connect 8 gauge wires ? #5  
Jerry those split bolts are available at Home Depot and that's what I would use as well. While you're there get yourself a roll of self vulcanizing tape to wrap the split bolts after you make the connection. The tape will stick to itself and make an extremely durable insulated connection.

/ How to connect 8 gauge wires ?
Thanks for the replies. I like the simplicity of using the wire nuts, but I also like the solid connection that would be offered by the split bolts. I completely forgot that split bolts existed. I used some about two years ago to extend the length of my arc welding cables.
I'll go to Home Depot and see which solution feels best to me. Thank you.

/ How to connect 8 gauge wires ? #7  
You can also find the tubular splices that heat shrink (think I've even seen sold together as a "kit") will make a beautiful finish on. But your box and/or the entry/exit points may not be amibiable to a "linear" connection; the split bolt sounds next best.

/ How to connect 8 gauge wires ? #8  
Ran an ebay search and found this one, the ones I had used didn't have such sharp edges.

Anyway, I also seen all kinds of what looked to be crimp style, but [didn't read up on them] they might be for 12V insted of 120/240 volt applications.

If so, I quess the former might be overkill and the latter "underkill". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Did I mention never take any wiring advice from me? The strange applications I always have never seem to translate well here. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 844769-Splice.jpg
    844769-Splice.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,879
   / How to connect 8 gauge wires ? #9  
Is this copper or aluminum wire? If aluminum, it is better to use a "splicer" (sold at Home Depot) that uses setscrews in an aluminum block to join the wires. This is also the best way to join copper to aluminum. Be sure to use anti-ox on the stripped leads, then lots of the aforementioned tape to seal it all.

/ How to connect 8 gauge wires ? #10  
Is there an advantage to tape over heat shrink?