Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower

Default How to connect 8 gauge wires ?

I installed a new built-in stove last night and I'm not quite sure how to complete the electrical connections. I have a cable that comes up through the floor. I believe it is 8 gauge stranded wire. (3 conductor). The new stove has three conductors that are inside an armored (bx) cable. I have installed a box where the two cables meet and are secured. My question is simply, how do I connect the wires ? My first thought is wire nuts, but I've never seen any large enough to connect two pieces of 8 gauge. Do they make them this large or do I need some sort of bus bar connectors or clamps ?

Veteran Member
    Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin County
    Tractor
    JD 950

Default Re: How to connect 8 gauge wires ?

I just replaced our cooktop. Similar to what you say. Wires inside armored cable, actually like flex conduit. The old one was wire nutted. I put the new in the same way reusing the old wire nuts. Don't know the actual wire size though.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400HST/LA463 FEL Kubota T1870 Kubota RTV900

use split bolt connectors and plenty of tape.

split bolt connector

Tractor
    Push mower, Snapper 21" 6 shovels, 2 rakes, a pick, 2 pinch bars, a post hole digger (two handle type) and 2 wheel barrows that handle like a Porsche.

Yes, they make wire nuts that can easily fit over #8 wires. The ones from Ideal and 3M are blue. I would use those over the split bolts. You do strip more of the wire with the larger wire nut. Tighten them tight.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

Jerry those split bolts are available at Home Depot and that's what I would use as well. While you're there get yourself a roll of self vulcanizing tape to wrap the split bolts after you make the connection. The tape will stick to itself and make an extremely durable insulated connection.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower

Thanks for the replies. I like the simplicity of using the wire nuts, but I also like the solid connection that would be offered by the split bolts. I completely forgot that split bolts existed. I used some about two years ago to extend the length of my arc welding cables.
    I'll go to Home Depot and see which solution feels best to me. Thank you.

Tractor
    PT2445; several ag machines and classics

You can also find the tubular splices that heat shrink (think I've even seen sold together as a "kit") will make a beautiful finish on. But your box and/or the entry/exit points may not be amibiable to a "linear" connection; the split bolt sounds next best.

Tractor

Ran an ebay search and found this one, the ones I had used didn't have such sharp edges.

Anyway, I also seen all kinds of what looked to be crimp style, but [didn't read up on them] they might be for 12V insted of 120/240 volt applications.

If so, I quess the former might be overkill and the latter "underkill". [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Did I mention never take any wiring advice from me? The strange applications I always have never seem to translate well here. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D Supersteer

Is this copper or aluminum wire? If aluminum, it is better to use a "splicer" (sold at Home Depot) that uses setscrews in an aluminum block to join the wires. This is also the best way to join copper to aluminum. Be sure to use anti-ox on the stripped leads, then lots of the aforementioned tape to seal it all.

Tractor

Is there an advantage to tape over heat shrink?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast