Canaan Valley WV

/ Canaan Valley WV #1  

Hillbilly

Platinum Member
Has anyone been here? The reason I ask is that Canaan Valley reminds me of Cades Cove in the geographical layout,that is they are both elevated mountain valleys which is unique in there terrain,you drive up a mountain and break over the top and you are in a big flat area miles across surrounded by the mountain tops,kind of like a bowl turned upside down.A big flat area but in the center of the mountains. Very unique.

/ Canaan Valley WV #2  
I was there a few weeks ago for a Timber Framer's Guild conference (where else would you fling flaming pumpkins into the dusk with a trebuchet?). The valley was pretty much as you describe it and is mostly a resort area with conervation lands. They supposedly get some snow 9 months out of the year.

Andy in NH

/ Canaan Valley WV
The 1st time I was ever up there was 1976,my Uncle took me up there on a fishing trip,it was not developed yet..just farms and wilderness.We hiked 3 miles back in there and slept under the stars and fished the Blackwater River.
It sure has changed...the golf course has deer and wild geese on it.Very pretty place,I was reading a story of when it was 1st discovered,it had Mountain Laurel and Rhododendran as far as you could see and so thick you could not walk through it.

/ Canaan Valley WV #4  
I was in that area about 10 years ago. Very pretty. I planned on doing some rock climbing but it was raining and generally miserable out. Instead, we did some off-roading on an established trail. There is a mountain bike race there every year called 24 hours of Canaan. Some friends did it last year and raved about it /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Canaan Valley WV #5  
Isn't Black Water Falls State Park very close to Canaan Valley? We drove thru that area many many times when I was a kid, stopping at Black Water Falls (or this funny little restaurant in a town called Red House). Many fond memories.... It a beautiful place. I always wanted to try the skiiing, but never got the chance.......

Henry

/ Canaan Valley WV
Blackwater Falls is right outside of Canaan at Davis West Virginia,ever heard of the Blackwater motorcycle Race?

/ Canaan Valley WV #7  
<font color=blue> ever heard of the Blackwater motorcycle Race? </font color=blue>

No I havn't. My brother used to race in enduro's and hare scrambles in Southwest Pa and over in the WVA pan-handle. I can recall hearing about a really great moto-cross track down in that area....