Upgrading to Money 2006

/ Upgrading to Money 2006 #1  

Volfandt

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota BX23, 1966 WheelHorse 856
All I wanted to do is use on-line bill pay and after 4 nights of tweaking this and that, deleting and reinstalling I've finally made 3 on-line bill transactions tonight! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've been using MS Money since it came preloaded on my very 1st Win 3.1 PC back in 1990 and not only has it made keeping track of my financials easier but it kept my check book balanced to the penny for nearly 16 yrs too. I last upgraded to MS Money 99 back in, well 1999 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but I soon found out that it wouldn't support on-line banking and bill pay so another upgrade was needed. Especially since I had already signed up and was using the banks online app for two weeks already.
I had problems from the start. Seems MSM 99's database isn't compatable w/MSM2006. I let 2006 delete 99 in the setup but it didn't delete the database file X.mny and 2006 wouldn't run because it was trying to load from it. After trial and error including using 2006's database repair, I deleted 2006 and reloaded 99. I then exported all my records in QIF format to a new folder then deleted 99 and moved the database to that same new folder. To be safe I reloaded 99 into a new folder also, just incase I needed it for it's database ot to continue using it.
I then reloaded 2006 and since it didn't see the 99 database it made a new one and it would then run. I then setup 2006 to auto download the data from my bank and success again! Now I was cooking, or so I thought.
I had to have those old records for several reasons so I imported the data into my new account. Bad idea.... It loaded OK and it ran OK but 2006 couldn't resolve any conflicts between the two and now my bank downloads was skipping some transactions, namely deposits. The banks tech support was no help and MS wasn't in any hurry to answer my emails so I experimented and read some more. I found where MS recommends to use MSM2005 as an intermediate step when loading 99's database and since I didn't have nor want 2005 I decided to work with two separate but the same accounts, one named new that worked off of the banks downlaods and the other named old that tworked off of 99's database and had to be manually keyed in. They both worked fine but I had to have them combined and I also didn't want to run redundant app's that required extra keying in so I read some more and experimented until I finally found the fix.
After I had balanced both and done a backup so I could have a way back, I found where MSM2006 will combine two accounts into one. Crossing my fingers and tapping on wood, I combined the old with the new and EUREKA, I finally had one account with both the new and old database working together just like they were supposed to /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif There were a few double entries but when I found and deleted them, my now single and combined account was in balance and ready to go. So I downloaded from the bank again and that TOK and I then did three online bill pays and it TOK too! Man, what a chore! But what a nice app. No stamps, no addressing envelopes and no 2 to 4 day delivery. Instantainious transactions with receipts. I did enter the transactions into my good ole paperback register but that may cease in the future also.
What MS doesn't put in it's help and FAQ files would be big enough to write a block buster!
I finally got a response from MS and I had already tried there solution and it didn't work so they were no help either. They did tell me a neat trick or two but not anythng to do with my problem.
So anyways, I did manage to get alittle seat time during this ordeal as I wante dto mow before the rains hit and since all is well now, or so it seems, I just may tackle upgrading my WIN98 PIII machine to XP Home edition next. Course I want to save & reuse all my existing files & apps so this should be an experience also.

Volfandt 1, MS 0 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Volfandt

/ Upgrading to Money 2006 #2  
I too have been using MS Money for the last several years. I started with Money 2.0 and have steadily progress since then. I usually upgrade every year as I get it free with my purchase of TaxCut. Never have had a problem going from one year to the next. That is why they say not to skip too many versions of a program.

A couple of side notes. I remember working with Quickbooks on the Mac when they quit supporting Mac. What a nightmare it was to get it loaded on a Windows platform. I believe I spent 3 days probably 8 - 10 hours on the phone with them each day trying to get it work. It finally did - my own doings not anything they helped with as Intuit just gave up and that is all we can do, guess you'll have to re-enter it all. And after the last few years of working with IBM software and their lack of support, I will never bash Microsoft again. They do a fantastic job! - yes I'm serious. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Upgrading to Money 2006 #3  
As a rule you should stay within 2 upgrades so compatability issues don't hurt you as you found out. My wife is a Microsoft Certified Technician. So I get free at home service for IT issues. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Upgrading to Money 2006
I've heard the same about problems skipping revisions, I run into them in dealing with the eqt I work with too, but being the creature of habit that I be, when I get used to something I just have a problem w/changing just for changings sake. I guess one thing I learned was that QIF files don't seem to have any problems being backwards compatable /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm now committed to loading XP Home onto the desktop and one plan of attack is to download Partition Magic and make up the PC dual boot. I ran the compatability wizard that came w/the XP upgrade and it found several programs that it probably can't run and as you can guess, they are some apps that I definitely want to keep.
It has been suggested that I run dual HD's for dual boot but I lack physical space for another IDE component as well as I have about 10g of HD space doing nothing.

Now with this Money ordeal locked away into my non volitile ram (which seems to shrink daily)I'm ready to go at this next project.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, especially from the BTDT's.
I am definitely going to resolve all the hardware & software compatability issues before I takes the leap. And yes, I do have a backup /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Volfandt