seat belts

/ seat belts #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
I don't know how all of you feel about wearing a seat belt while driving an automobile but, please educate your children of what can happen when seat belts are not used. My son's girl friend was killed in an 1 vehicle auto accident about 2 weeks ago. I know I'am late posting this but, it's been hard to talk about. She was an honors student & approx. 3 weeks away from high school graduation .I won't get into all the details but,the night after the high school prom. She was going to visit friends. She was driving alone on the interstate when a rear tire blew on the vehicle she was driving . She lost control . The vehicle fliped several times throwing her from the vehicle. She died at the scene. The investigation showed she wasn't speeding.The paramedics said that , although she would have had injuries, she would have survived the crash if she had the seat belt on.Please instruct your children use seat belts always.Tires are sometimes over looked on vehicles . Make sure your tires are in good condition & inflated to the correct pressure.Most of all , tell your loved ones every day how much you love them . You won't have the chance to tell them after there gone. Everyone ,please be safe.

/ seat belts #2  
Ken, it's sad to hear about a tragedy like that. And I certainly agree with your recommendation. Personally, I've been wearing seat belts since 1962, and have no doubt at all that it's what kept me from being killed, or at the very least very seriously injured, when I was in an accident as a passenger on December 29, 1965. When my daughters got their drivers licenses, they knew I'd take the license and their car keys if I ever caught them without a seat belt on (that was before seat belt laws). I guess both of them still wear them all the time; I know the youngest one does. She blew a tire and turned a sedan over on the freeway once, and she was broadsided by a van and turned her pickup over once, and each time escaped with very minor scratches and bruises. So she's definitely a believer.

/ seat belts #3  
way back in the late 60's: there was an accident in california, 4 people in each vehicle, vw beetles, they hit head on, the passengers in one had seatbelts, because they where in the military and they where required to have them if the vehicle was brought on base, the other passengers did not have seat belts: the ones with the belts survived, the others did not: i doubt you could set up a better test: that said: i hate being told i have to have them on or i will get a ticket: just like helmets, after age 21, it should be our choice.
heehaw

/ seat belts #4  
Should it be the operator's choice whether or not to have brakes on the vehicle? I would say it should not be their choice, as it directly affects the safety of others.

The seat belt mandate, despite media misstatement, was in most case not based on the wearer's safety but the safety of others. It was SOLD to the public based on saving your life (life of your kids, etc.). Tests (many, many years ago) showed that an operator in a harness was held in position better during a sudden change of direction in the vehicle (this somehow seems so obvious) and THUS was in a better position to retain and/or regain control of the vehicle (thus affecting the safety of others) in case of blowout, skid, etc..

I am no fan of government mandates either, and I'm still not sure I like this one even understanding the above...but it really wasn't (at least wasn't supposed to be) about you initially, but public safety by helping the operator maintain control.

/ seat belts #5  
<font color="blue"> i hate being told i have to have them on or i will get a ticket: just like helmets, after age 21, it should be our choice.
heehaw </font>

And the thread strikes off in a tangent rather than staying on target!

Kenmac's point is well taken. Seatbelts if worn help to save lives and reduce injuries.

We all need to express are sincere thanks to Kenmac for taking the time to emphasize this with a very personal example.

As to the tangent thought, I have no problem with anyone not wearing a seatbelt in a car or helmet on a motorcycle, but feel if one chooses to do so, then they should be responsible for their actions.

I would propose that additional insurance be required, to cover the costs of long term care, in the even that the no-helmet motorcyclist or no-seatbelt motorist are seriously injured in an accident. I don't want my rates to go up because someone else takes unnecessary risks!

Cop stops you for no helmet or no seatbelt, you pull out your additional insurance card, cop says OK, see you later. Cop stops me for no helmet or seatbelt, no additional insurance, ticket time!

Yea, I know...I live in a dream world...

/ seat belts #6  
Look around for the statistics on head injury in auto accidents vs MC accidents. Q: should all vehicle passengers be required to wear helmets?

P.S. I always wear mine on the bike, my choice as I live in a no helmet state.