what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you?

/ what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you?
Re: what does \"lifetime warranty\" mean to you?

thats what it means to me too: i have a battery i bought from jc pennies back in 1980, for my 1951 chevy truck: they just replaced it again a year or so ago: as long as i own the truck and don't lose the paperwork:
heehaw

/ what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you? #12  

Your friend got screwed by the company who installed his a/c. Air conditioning units warrenty starts on date of installation or startup. If no paper work can be provided to verify start date warrenty reverts back to mfg date. Even left over units have full warrenty unless some scratch and dents. Your friend should have been told of this. Lifetime on most ac units are to original owner at original location, no labor or misc materials included.

/ what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you? #13  

Yep, he got the short end of the deal. The original company that installed the unit no longer exists. He had to call another company to do the work...

/ what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you? #14  

Harbor Freight is another company that doesn't understand what a warranty is. If your HF tool breaks they will replace it only once while it is still within the warranty period.

/ what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you? #15  

Back when I was young, I'd have understood "lifetime warranty" to mean FREE REPLACEMENT, SHOULD A PRODUCT FAIL ANYTIME, FOR ALL OF ETERNITY.

I got older, had kids that tested the bounds of a few warranties. I bought things with lifetime wattanties, expecting them to be "better" than those things NOT warrantied for life. I found out how unimportant peoples "word" became over time.

Now I'm of the opinion "lifetime warranty" means LIMITED REPLACEMENT, PRO RATED, AND VOID ONCE THE ITEM BREAKS.

/ what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you? #16  

Is this post limited to appliances? If not, when you go to the auto parts & buy lifetime brake pads for your vehiclle, You pay a little xtra & get the lifetime brake pads . When they wear out you take them back & they give you another set as long as you own the vehicle.Same with starters, plug wires, etc.,its not when the products life is up the warranty ends, it's a lifetime replacment of the product as long as you own the vehicle. Same with craftsman tools lifetime warranty . You break it they replace it for your life time .I guess it's always good to read the fine print. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you?

good point, with craftsman, if you find a broken craftsman tool, and take it in, they will replace it: i have used the lifetime starter and alternator and they where replaced with no questions asked:
heehaw

/ what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you? #18  

It's like the time I bought something that said, "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back."

When the item arrived, I didn't like it and called to arrange a return. Their reply, "Sorry, but we are completely satisfied with your money!"

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you? #19  

The auto parts stores love lifetime warranty brake pads. They are usually the hardest, noisy, metallic things they've got. That 2-3 bucks more makes a good profit when 90-95 /100 customers are never heard from again.

/ what does "lifetime warranty" mean to you? #20  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if you find a broken craftsman tool, and take it in, they will replace it )</font>

I took 2 - 3/8" rachets in to my local Sears for replacement and when they found out both were at least 25 years old, started mumbling about taking advantage of them. The replacements could be taken apart and rebuilt and I was told in the future I'd receive a rebuilt kit, not a full replacement.