% Grade vs Degrees

/ % Grade vs Degrees
Bird, Do you think the guy burned up his truck with the brakes overheating? I drove my van to the top of Obergatlinburg, TN , on the way down I had to stop midway to let the brakes cool off. They were getting hot.,hot.

John

/ % Grade vs Degrees
Bird, Do you think the guy burned up his truck with the brakes overheating? I drove my van to the top of Obergatlinburg, TN , on the way down I had to stop midway to let the brakes cool off. They were getting hot.,hot.

John

/ % Grade vs Degrees
Anything over 100% grade is,what, a cliff?

/ % Grade vs Degrees
Anything over 100% grade is,what, a cliff?

/ % Grade vs Degrees #29  
<font color="blue"> Anything over 100% grade is,what, a cliff?
</font>

Pretty much. I did some mountaineering in my younger days. A bud and I learned snow, rock and ice climbing then took on some major climbs by ourselves. We did our share of vertical (and beyond) rock but enjoyed the alpine mountaineering more (snow and ice). When you think of 45 degrees it doesn't sound bad considering it's only half of vertical, right? Trouble is, when you're actually on the mountain and you've got several thousand vertical feet at about 45 degrees, it's a real workout. Consider also that most home stairways are not as steep as 45 degrees.

It's all relative. Like they say: "The shortest route is straight up."

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ % Grade vs Degrees #30  
<font color="blue"> Anything over 100% grade is,what, a cliff?
</font>

Pretty much. I did some mountaineering in my younger days. A bud and I learned snow, rock and ice climbing then took on some major climbs by ourselves. We did our share of vertical (and beyond) rock but enjoyed the alpine mountaineering more (snow and ice). When you think of 45 degrees it doesn't sound bad considering it's only half of vertical, right? Trouble is, when you're actually on the mountain and you've got several thousand vertical feet at about 45 degrees, it's a real workout. Consider also that most home stairways are not as steep as 45 degrees.

It's all relative. Like they say: "The shortest route is straight up."

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif