Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    '05 Farmtrac 270DTC

Default % Grade vs Degrees

Anyone know what the difference between % of a grade as opposed to how many degrees the grade is? I always see the signs on the hiway saying 5% grade and it sure seems awfully steep.

Thanks,
    John

Tractor
    '05 Farmtrac 270DTC

Default % Grade vs Degrees

Anyone know what the difference between % of a grade as opposed to how many degrees the grade is? I always see the signs on the hiway saying 5% grade and it sure seems awfully steep.

Thanks,
    John

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Re: % Grade vs Degrees

I believe % grade is a measure of the rise to the run or how much the roadway rises compared to the length. If a roadway rose 1' for each 1' of length, that would be 100% grade (or the same as 45). A 5% grade would rise 1' for each 20' of length or about 2-1/2. When you are looking into a grade, your perspective is distorted. If you looked at the grade from the side, it would look a lot less imposing.

Disclaimer: There is a good possibility that my explanation is completely bogus, it's just my own understanding or lack of same. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

I believe % grade is a measure of the rise to the run or how much the roadway rises compared to the length. If a roadway rose 1' for each 1' of length, that would be 100% grade (or the same as 45). A 5% grade would rise 1' for each 20' of length or about 2-1/2. When you are looking into a grade, your perspective is distorted. If you looked at the grade from the side, it would look a lot less imposing.

Disclaimer: There is a good possibility that my explanation is completely bogus, it's just my own understanding or lack of same. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Percent grade is just the rise over run. A 45 degree slope is 100% as the rise and run are the same. Your 5% grade is 5 feet in 100 which calculates to 2.86 degrees. The formula is Angle = ATAN (Rise/Run).

If you think 5% feels steep, try that 100% grade sometime [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Percent grade is just the rise over run. A 45 degree slope is 100% as the rise and run are the same. Your 5% grade is 5 feet in 100 which calculates to 2.86 degrees. The formula is Angle = ATAN (Rise/Run).

If you think 5% feels steep, try that 100% grade sometime [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson TO 35

Here is how I figure 5% grade. 5/100=.05. Then take .05 and inverse tan which gives you 2.862405 degrees. Hope this helps.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson TO 35

Here is how I figure 5% grade. 5/100=.05. Then take .05 and inverse tan which gives you 2.862405 degrees. Hope this helps.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2001 Kubota B2910

Here's a LINK to a grade calculator.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2001 Kubota B2910

Here's a LINK to a grade calculator.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast