Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor?

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #1  

VinnieNC

Tractor
JD 5310
Hello,
I have a 3/4 horse dp from a big box store and would like to slow down the chuck speed below the 200 rpm allowed by the belt/pulley system. It looks like it would be fairly easy to replace the AC 3/4 horse with a 90 Volt DC variable speed motor and a controller. Has anyone done this?

I did a little research on the web and the motors and controllers seem widely available at surplus houses, ebay, etc. They are a little pricey, but would make the dp much more versatile and easy to adjust the speed. I'm not sure if the DC motor should have equal or more hp than the orginal AC motor for low speed torque.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

-Vinnie

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor?
Hello,
I have a 3/4 horse dp from a big box store and would like to slow down the chuck speed below the 200 rpm allowed by the belt/pulley system. It looks like it would be fairly easy to replace the AC 3/4 horse with a 90 Volt DC variable speed motor and a controller. Has anyone done this?

I did a little research on the web and the motors and controllers seem widely available at surplus houses, ebay, etc. They are a little pricey, but would make the dp much more versatile and easy to adjust the speed. I'm not sure if the DC motor should have equal or more hp than the orginal AC motor for low speed torque.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

-Vinnie

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #3  
Have you looked into the variable speed add-on controls for a router?

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #4  
Have you looked into the variable speed add-on controls for a router?

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #5  
For a DC motor you can use a pulse width modulator based motor control... for an ac motor ( that uses ac, not a universal motor using dc ), you can use a triac based controller.. like an industrial lamp dimmer. Find one rated for your amp load. Many o fthe older ones said 'not for inductive loads' however should work anyway.. especially the big ones for par cans...

I put together a 4 outlet box with 2 outlets as straight thru ac, and the other two wired off a lamp dimmer triac, and then mounted this on a HD extension cord. I've used it as a lamp dimmer for trouble lamps and as a speed control for a cheap single speed hand drill...

Soundguy

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #6  
For a DC motor you can use a pulse width modulator based motor control... for an ac motor ( that uses ac, not a universal motor using dc ), you can use a triac based controller.. like an industrial lamp dimmer. Find one rated for your amp load. Many o fthe older ones said 'not for inductive loads' however should work anyway.. especially the big ones for par cans...

I put together a 4 outlet box with 2 outlets as straight thru ac, and the other two wired off a lamp dimmer triac, and then mounted this on a HD extension cord. I've used it as a lamp dimmer for trouble lamps and as a speed control for a cheap single speed hand drill...

Soundguy

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #7  
You can try it, but I think you will find out that it stalls out easily when run a low speed.

Cliff

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #8  
You can try it, but I think you will find out that it stalls out easily when run a low speed.

Cliff

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #9  
Many treadmills have an approx 130 volt dc motor in them with a controller. Maybe a dump run is in order?

/ Replacing Drillpress AC motor with DC motor? #10  
Many treadmills have an approx 130 volt dc motor in them with a controller. Maybe a dump run is in order?