Subaru engine

/ Subaru engine #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
It was with interest that I learned this weekend; Subaru uses horizontal engines.

A friend's wagon broke down 200 miles from home, so we retrieved it yesterday with my flatbed trailer. While loading it up and chaining it down, I noticed underneath, that the exhaust manifolds hooked up kind of funny.

When we got it to his house, and unloaded, I took a look under the hood. Sure enough, it is a flat four cylinder. I knew people that had Subaru's but never looked at them really.

His had a problem, they think with a clogged radiator. It got towed to a dealer in Ukiah, who diagnosed it with clogged radiator. They also diagnosed warped heads. Gave him a $4800 estimate to fix. WOW!

This car had a flat four, but he said the six cylinders were flat too.

Interesting...

/ Subaru engine
It was with interest that I learned this weekend; Subaru uses horizontal engines.

A friend's wagon broke down 200 miles from home, so we retrieved it yesterday with my flatbed trailer. While loading it up and chaining it down, I noticed underneath, that the exhaust manifolds hooked up kind of funny.

When we got it to his house, and unloaded, I took a look under the hood. Sure enough, it is a flat four cylinder. I knew people that had Subaru's but never looked at them really.

His had a problem, they think with a clogged radiator. It got towed to a dealer in Ukiah, who diagnosed it with clogged radiator. They also diagnosed warped heads. Gave him a $4800 estimate to fix. WOW!

This car had a flat four, but he said the six cylinders were flat too.

Interesting...

/ Subaru engine #3  
Thats right all of subaru's engines are flat. the runn really nice. and long!

/ Subaru engine #4  
Thats right all of subaru's engines are flat. the runn really nice. and long!

/ Subaru engine #5  
The flat 4 is called a Boxster engine (2 cylinders each side operating like pairs of fists, I guess). Alfa Romeo and Porsche also make that configuration as do BMW on their bikes.

I'd an Alfa 33 in the dim and distant past. The engine was great and had a fantastic throaty roar but, my oh my, the bodywork. The car was biodegradable - it just melted in the rain.

/ Subaru engine #6  
The flat 4 is called a Boxster engine (2 cylinders each side operating like pairs of fists, I guess). Alfa Romeo and Porsche also make that configuration as do BMW on their bikes.

I'd an Alfa 33 in the dim and distant past. The engine was great and had a fantastic throaty roar but, my oh my, the bodywork. The car was biodegradable - it just melted in the rain.

/ Subaru engine #7  
I've never heard of anyone with a Subaru complain about it. They are also few and far between in our wanted ads in the local paper. I see them all over the place, so I know folks have them, but I suspect they never sell them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Subaru engine #8  
I've never heard of anyone with a Subaru complain about it. They are also few and far between in our wanted ads in the local paper. I see them all over the place, so I know folks have them, but I suspect they never sell them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Subaru engine #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( His had a problem, they think with a clogged radiator. It got towed to a dealer in Ukiah, who diagnosed it with clogged radiator. They also diagnosed warped heads. Gave him a $4800 estimate to fix. WOW!)</font>

There's an active Subaru Outback group at Yahoo Groups where he might find advice to fix this for less.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/outback/

I've seen posts there indicating the 2.5 l engine starting about 1999 had a tendency to leak combustion into the coolant, requiring rebuilt heads.

I like my '99 but the typical 22-24 mpg isn't up to standard for today's gas prices.
DSCN2973rSubaru-DV2003.jpg

/ Subaru engine #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( His had a problem, they think with a clogged radiator. It got towed to a dealer in Ukiah, who diagnosed it with clogged radiator. They also diagnosed warped heads. Gave him a $4800 estimate to fix. WOW!)</font>

There's an active Subaru Outback group at Yahoo Groups where he might find advice to fix this for less.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/outback/

I've seen posts there indicating the 2.5 l engine starting about 1999 had a tendency to leak combustion into the coolant, requiring rebuilt heads.

I like my '99 but the typical 22-24 mpg isn't up to standard for today's gas prices.
DSCN2973rSubaru-DV2003.jpg