additives everywhere!

/ additives everywhere! #1  

livincountry

Silver Member
Tractor
cub
We recently had two Super Wal-Marts open in the town near me. I've been there and few times and this is my first experience with the food side of Wal-Mart. I just noticed over the weekend that most of the Wal-Mart packaged meat has small print "injected with up to 10% "salt" solution" I'm paraphrasing but my point is they buy the lowest price meat and have to inject it with something to give it taste. Just what we need is more sodium!

I read that in ancient Rome when indoor plumbing was introduced it lead to the downfall of Rome.....the architects used lead to make the pipes....Lead caused brain damage and Romans turned dumber than dumb.....

We are heading down the same path...why else would we need warning on our coffee cups that read "HOT!"

/ additives everywhere! #2  
I have no problem with Walmarts meat. It's not the best out there, but for burgers it's fine. If I want a good steak, I go to a different store.

What really gets me about Walmart is their fruit will start to rot in just a few days after buying it. This happens to me everytime. Even oranges!!!

Eddie

/ additives everywhere! #3  
injected with up to 10%

Don't you find the same thing in the other supermarkets? I thought so, but don't really know, since we buy most of our meats at Sam's Club.:D

/ additives everywhere! #4  
Buy a chest freezer and split sides of beef from a local butcher with friends and family if you can't consume a whole side yourself. A chest freezer is less than $500.00. The last few sides we have had were under $2.00 a pound. Can't beat it. We also know the folks that raise our beef. They only inject it with the chemicals that we approve of. :eek: :rolleyes:

Better living through chemistry.:D

/ additives everywhere! #5  
livincountry said:
"injected with up to 10% "salt"

The injected salt solution acts as a preservative. That and the CO2 gas flushed tray the meat is sealed in. When taken out of the tray the meat turns a brighter red because of oxygen.

/ additives everywhere!
Bird said:
Don't you find the same thing in the other supermarkets? I thought so, but don't really know, since we buy most of our meats at Sam's Club.:D

A pork roast at Wal-Mart or Sams is injected with this crap as well as chicken and beef. The Wal-Mart I was at didn't carry alternative brands like I've seen at Krogers, they carry an organic substitute. It's a big deal to me because I don't want to consume a lot of sodium. I currently am raising a few pigs and a dairy feeder for the kid's 4H projects. I may hold one back and send it in to butcher.

This seems to just be accepted.....our country is being poisoned with processed food and additives. I'll shut up now

/ additives everywhere! #7  
livincountry said:
....our country is being poisoned with processed food and additives. I'll shut up now
No, it's not. There are choices at many grocery stores, perhaps just not where you live.

/ additives everywhere! #8  
livincountry said:
A pork roast at Wal-Mart or Sams is injected with this crap as well as chicken and beef. The Wal-Mart I was at didn't carry alternative brands like I've seen at Krogers, they carry an organic substitute. It's a big deal to me because I don't want to consume a lot of sodium. I currently am raising a few pigs and a dairy feeder for the kid's 4H projects. I may hold one back and send it in to butcher.

This seems to just be accepted.....our country is being poisoned with processed food and additives. I'll shut up now

I think cutting down on the sodium may be good for most folks, but then, cutting down on red meat will also provide you with some health benefits. Everything in moderation.

/ additives everywhere! #9  
MikePA said:
No, it's not. There are choices at many grocery stores, perhaps just not where you live.

At least in our area.. Walmart offers a certified organic set of foods ( at higher prices ) .. for those that don't like 'extra stuff' in their produce and meats.

So yes.. i agree with mikepa on this one.

Soundguy

/ additives everywhere!
ADD, ADHD, Diabetes, Heart disease, Cancer....these are all at record levels. Afflictions that were never heard of 20 years ago are here today.

What's changed? Think about it.

Sugars, sodium, hydrogenated oils, preservatives....all a part of our daily intake. To say "poisoning" may be a little too strong for you to accept.