Anybody use a 2 post auto lift

/ Anybody use a 2 post auto lift #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
I've debated between getting a 2 post lift or a 4 post lift for months now and I've decided on getting a 2 post lift. I can still store one of my cars on top and there will be enough clearance to park another under it when I'm not using it. With the 4 post lifts I can't do brake jobs etc. because the car (or tractor) would still be sitting on the tires.

Anyway, here is my confusion; what brand to buy? The majority of the lifts sold i.e. Panther Lifts, Direct Lifts, American Automotive Lifts etc. are all the same Chinese made lifts with different paint or lettering. There are a few companies such as Complete Hydraulics that sell both Chinese and Korean made lifts. Finally, there are still some companies such as Metro Lifts & Equipment Co. that manufacture an all U.S. made lift made from all U.S. made steel and components. Obviously there is a difference in price; all of the lowest price lifts are made in China, the Korean lifts cost a little more, and then the U.S. made lifts cost the most.

I'm fairly confident that all the lifts should be safe up to their rated capacity; I'm looking at 10k lifts. However, I've actually gone to some local shops that have lifts that I looked up and know are Chinese made, and I can see the lift arms have actually bowed. I've looked for weeks on the internet and there does seem to be evidence that U.S. made steel has higher quality standards than Chinese and Korean made steel. The big question is how much more money is it worth to go with a higher quality U.S. made lift?

I plan on having the lift for life and the car that will be stored on the lift costs several times what my tractor costs, so I really do not want to take any chances with it. After weeks of comparing and shopping, I can buy a Korean made lift for about $300 more than a Chinese made lift, and I can buy a U.S. made lift (with all U.S. components) for about $500 more than a Korean made lift.

Now think about it, a Chinese made 10K lift can be bought for as low as $1500. I'm told the dealer cost on that unit is right at $1200. The dealers also have told me that 45% of their cost in the lift is in shipping. That means that it's really a $660 lift in China. The same holds true for the Korean made lift, but you add roughly $300 to the initial price. The U.S. made lift has only about 19% of it's cost in getting the steel and parts shipped to the manufacturer.

I'm not talking about cars or tractors here, only lifts. I'm also talking about storing something extremely expensive up on the lift (partly to keep it from being bumped while on the ground) and I'm going to be under the lift when working on my vehicles and tractors. Is it worth the price to buy U.S. made lifts or would a much less expensive Chinese made lift do? Or, split the difference and buy a Korean made lift? What to do??

/ Anybody use a 2 post auto lift #2  
I prefer not to buy goods made in communist nations. Sometimes it is almost unavoidable. But the reality is that communists are still our enemies here in the US, and given the choice, I prefer not to buy Chinese goods because of that. Bear in mind that I am referring to mainland China, not Taiwan. I also avoid goods from Viet Nam, Venesualia, and if they were imported here, I'd avoid good from Cuba and also from Iran.

/ Anybody use a 2 post auto lift #3  
"However, I've actually gone to some local shops that have lifts that I looked up and know are Chinese made, and I can see the lift arms have actually bowed. "

That statement is enough for me to cross off that brand. I also agree with Bob on all of the anti-communist stuff.

Which one is a tuff choice. I would go with the made in Korea or USA. If they all were the same price this would be easy.
Can you pick the USA one up at the factory to save a few hundred shipping?
If you were a full time mechanic...no question the USA one.
If disposable income is tight right now... Korean one.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

/ Anybody use a 2 post auto lift #4  
Every jack I have purchased has been of the best quality for the lift height range I was after. I know I paid much more for a good quality jack, but I also know my chances of it having issues down the road are far less. The biggest reason though is safety. I don't always go 100% safe when lifting a heavy object and have on occasion put my faith that the jack is not going to fail. I have installed 2 point lifts for folks. They need to be stout. They need to anchored well. I'm trying to think what product made in China has surpassed my expections. I'm still thinking and doubt I will ever remember any. Personally I would save up and get a high quality lift or do without.

/ Anybody use a 2 post auto lift #5  
Quote " I can still store one of my cars on top and there will be enough clearance to park another under it when I'm not using it. With the 4 post lifts I can't do brake jobs etc. because the car (or tractor) would still be sitting on the tires."

Most all 4 post lifts can be purchased with rolling jacks that are inside the tracks. You can then lift the tires off of the lift. If I were purchasing a lift that I would lift my tractor with I would want a 4 post drive on lift. Finding good and safe lifting points on a tractor with a two post lift could prove to be difficult - really hard if the tractor has a loader.

/ Anybody use a 2 post auto lift
Dallas_Lilly said:
Most all 4 post lifts can be purchased with rolling jacks that are inside the tracks. You can then lift the tires off of the lift. If I were purchasing a lift that I would lift my tractor with I would want a 4 post drive on lift. Finding good and safe lifting points on a tractor with a two post lift could prove to be difficult - really hard if the tractor has a loader.

You bring up a very good point that I've already gone over, and over, and over...:eek: I thought for a while that I wanted a 4 post lift (that can be moved if need be) with 2 jack trays and 2 jacks. That way I can have all 4 tires off of the ramps and still have a 4 post lift. For the size I need, take the price of a 4 post lift and add about $1500 to it. :(

That is another reason I'm honestly leaning towards the highest quality U.S. made 2 post lift. With the asymmetric arms, what you mentioned would not be a problem at all. I also noticed that all of the cheap 2 post lifts had symmetric lift arms. To me, that seems to tell me that they cannot take the potential off balance load. I do plan to anchor my lift extremely well. The concrete floor in my barn is 5000 psi 10" thick heavily reinforced concrete.

/ Anybody use a 2 post auto lift #7  
I'll second that vote for a 4 post. I have similar plans, turning a 2 car garage into a 3 car garage with no increase in taxes or build costs. I've never seen a 2 post that was rated/recommended for long term storage.

/ Anybody use a 2 post auto lift
JJT said:
I've never seen a 2 post that was rated/recommended for long term storage.

Ah, ha! Just what I found when I was not checking where the lifts were made. Right now I'm dealing directly with the manufacturer of a 2 post lift that is all U.S. made and it is certified for permanent storage on it and his manufacturing company is insured to be able to list that as a rated function.

However, you're right, none of the Chinese or Korean companies could give me that certification. I'm glad you mentioned that. I think I just made up my mind. Although a 4 post lift can be moved if need be, it will just take up too much room and block access to 25' of my pallet shelves I use my fork truck to load. The ability of a 2 post lift to permanently store a vehicle on it is a very important feature that I forgot that the import manufacturers do not offer. Thanks for bringing that up.

/ Anybody use a 2 post auto lift #9  
Last month a guy I know got killed when a vehicle that he was working under (a 2 post lift) crushed him. I don't know the brand of lift, however, the pivot for one of the arms broke and caused the vehilce to fall on him. The vehicle didn't exceed the lift capacity and the lift was less than 3 years old and not used for commercial purposes.

Stories like this make we wonder if a 4 post is a better way to go than a 2 post, even though a 2 post has many advantages, including cost.

Derek

/ Anybody use a 2 post auto lift #10  
Something I've seen on numerous occasions is the canted 2 post lift. Instead of the columns being parallel to the sides of the vehicle, they are canted at about a 45 +/- degree angle to make opening the doors and entering the vehicle easier while it is on or within the confines of the lift.
Like others have said, I've never seen Chinese steel that was as good as US steel, and if I'm going to be under a 3-4K lb. vehicle, I would rather have US steel over me.:eek:

When you get it, let me know, and I'll come over and help you break it in.:D