Browser Problem?

/ Browser Problem? #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
I've set up a LAN of 6 PCs (Windows2000 Pro and XP) with one PC having Internet access (modem) using Wingate. All the PCs can access the Internet just fine. One can not. When I attempt to open a site on the Internet from this PC (Win2K) I get the IE error message;

Unable to access search page

Any ideas?

tractor.gif

/ Browser Problem? #2  
Mike,

OHS.... RTFM..... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Have you done the obvious? Done a ping or a traceroute from the offending machine? If you're successful with either of those, you have network connectivity.

Where is the PC physically in the network? Check the cabling? Check your hub?

Terry

/ Browser Problem?
Terry,

I can map drives on the same server running Wingate which should eliminate any cabling/hardware problems.

tractor.gif

/ Browser Problem? #4  
Wait a minute.... so your Wingate server is the gateway to the Internet, correct? How are the rest of the machines getting their IP addresses? DHCP?? Proxy??

How about permissions for file systems or services?

Heck, I,m just throwing out ideas?

Where's my towel..... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Terry

/ Browser Problem?
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Wait a minute.... so your Wingate server is the gateway to the Internet, correct?

<hr></blockquote>

Yep.

How are the rest of the machines getting their IP addresses? DHCP?? Proxy??

<hr></blockquote>

Hard assigned.

How about permissions for file systems or services?

<hr></blockquote>

Good idea. I'll check that.

Heck, I,m just throwing out ideas?

<hr></blockquote>

And I'm catching 'em! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thanks!

Boy, does using {quote} make for a long post. I think I will go back to using {blue}

tractor.gif

/ Browser Problem? #6  
Do you even need to use Wingate with Windows2000 and XP? I know I threw mine out the Window once I got Windows ME. -- Networking is built in.

Dave "Gatorboy" Hoffmann

/ Browser Problem?
You're correct. Win2K, Me and XP all offer Internet sharing, but eventually I want to use other features of Wingate, e.g., DNS, DHCP, etc.

tractor.gif

/ Browser Problem? #8  
Mike,

Those services are available in both Win2K and XP. So, what you are saying is that you're going to set up a network with domain names and IP address WITHIN your home or am I misreading your message.

Terry

/ Browser Problem?
I'm not certain about XP, but on Win2K Pro only the client side of those services are available. I'd need to install Win2K Server to offer DHCP and DNS on the network.

tractor.gif

/ Browser Problem? #10  
Ack!! Ka-ching.... bye-bye money....

You may want to consider using LINUX as your gateway server? Cheap. Lot's of built-in services? Lot's of other utilities available cheap or for nothing?

Are choices fun???? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Terry