Horse fence

/ Horse fence #1  

Syncro

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1532, Kubota B-26 TLB
We're getting ready to fence about 500' of our driveway and want it to work for horses, but we are not really knowledgeble on those big critters.

We sure like the looks of vinyl, but I hear stories of it being vulnerable for large animals, at least the cheap stuff from Hpme Depot etc. I've seen a similar product, but don't know what its called, its about 1/4" thick and appears to be very robust. Anybody know what that stuff is? It looks like its made of poly instead of vinyl, its still white but just looks a heck of a lot stronger, but I don't know. Appreciate any input.

/ Horse fence #2  
It is a polymer, but depending on where you live, it can be VERY expensive. 5 years ago in the Hudson valley, you could get that stuff for $14 a foot installed. That's what I call expensive. The only downside of that stuff besides cost are 2 things: 1. in sub zero temps, it's been known to shatter if kicked good n hard; 2. This is subjective, it looks TOO good, it does not have that rustic equestrian wooden fence look at all - subjective.

Good luck ...

/ Horse fence
DAP said:
It is a polymer, but depending on where you live, it can be VERY expensive. 5 years ago in the Hudson valley, you could get that stuff for $14 a foot installed. That's what I call expensive. The only downside of that stuff besides cost are 2 things: 1. in sub zero temps, it's been known to shatter if kicked good n hard; 2. This is subjective, it looks TOO good, it does not have that rustic equestrian wooden fence look at all - subjective.

Good luck ...

Hey thanks for the reply, I'll check out prices. I talked to another horse guy today and he swears by the plain 3 rail vinyl, says hes used it for years with very few problems, just an occasional broken rail, and way cheaper. Boy, what to do :confused:

/ Horse fence #5  
Syncro said:
We're getting ready to fence about 500' of our driveway and want it to work for horses, but we are not really knowledgeble on those big critters.
Depends if you want to contain them or just confine them. :rolleyes:

Summer before last, I put in approximately 1,500 feet of Horse Guard Fence. Relatively easy to install, once you have the posts in, and easy to maintain.

Attachments

• fence.JPG
    fence.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 260
   / Horse fence #6  
My vote is always 3 board fence for horses ( or 4 board.. or 3 board and wire.. ).

The boards give decently.. and weather good ( cresote wears better than PT.. but both last a long time.. ).

Soundguy

/ Horse fence #7  
That horse guard may work back east but it is not any good out here in the west and I expect the same in Nevada. The sun eats it up the wind breaks it and cows laugh at it.

/ Horse fence #8  
Jimbrown said:
...and cows laugh at it.
That's why it's not called cowguardfencing. :p

Some of my fencing has been installed for over 10 years. No problems.

/ Horse fence #9  
for Horses.... I am missing something.

Do you own the horses?
How big an area are you confining # horses to ?
Just pasture grazers or you plan on doing somehing with the horses ?

I ask becuase these all factor on how I would fence my horse.

I own 12 (hmm 11 I think my wife sold one, Yeah!) I also board another 20 or so. We have tried most of those methods, depending on pasture size and type of horse.

A little info about the horse side would be helpful. Also is the fence solely for the horse or where you putting it up anyway and jsut thought what if??

/ Horse fence #10  
It will be OK to line the driveway or in any perimeter situation or double installation. If some wisebutt feeds thru it you can install electric with just wire, no insulators. Have 2K feet with TB colts and very few problems. They make different grades and you will get what you pay for. Best part NO CHEW.
The ribbon stuff makes great jungle jyms for foals. bcs