Digital answering machine to PC

/ Digital answering machine to PC #1  

hudr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5005DI
Here's one to twist your noodle.
I bought Mom a new phone the other day. Got around to hooking it for her yesterday. Here's the problem:
Her old cordless phone had a digital answering machine (as does the new one) but.... she had 23 messages on the old phone. Turns out she kept most of the messages where my kids and my sister's little girl called their "Nana".
Also, there are two messages from Dad not too long before he passed away.
Anyone have an idea on how to get those messages off the old answering machine an maybe into .mp3 format? I have googled this a couple different ways and only come up w/ ads for PC answering machine software.
Last ditch will be to hook up a mic to the PC, get into a quiet room and playback the messages. But I would really like to introduce as little distortion as possible.
Any ideas?
Thanks

/ Digital answering machine to PC #2  
I doubt there is a direct "output" built into the old machine so it is going to be difficult. Contact the manufacturer for help? I like the idea of the quiet room and mic.

Once you have the messages out of the answering machine make sure to save them to a cd. I am sure your mother will be very grateful- good luck.

/ Digital answering machine to PC #3  
I can think of two ways both could easy or difficult based on skills.
One: most answering machines have a provision where you can play the messages back from a remote location by dialing the phone an inputting the correct code. You use a PC with a good phone program to call the old machine and then record them on the PC as they played back. Will require some computer skills to find the correct progaram and use it.

two: most answering machines will play backthrough the hand set. And most have quick disconnect cords between the handset and the machine. Take a cord and put the correct conector to plug into a sound card and then play them back and record them. will take some tinkering to get the wires right . There are only 4.

If you are not into computers or electronics these could be difficult for you.

By far the easiest is to just plug the mic into the sound card and play them back and record them. I doubt the quality of the answering machine is very good anyway.

/ Digital answering machine to PC #4  
Do you have to get rid of the old answering machine? If not, can you set it up for her to listen to at her leisure, and just leave the messages on the old machine?

Even if you find a way to get them transfered to the other machine, you may want to hang on to the old phone just for a backup. With all the thunderstorms we have been having lately, it would be easy for lightening to wipe out a phone.

As another poster stated, I would also put the messages onto a CD for her.

/ Digital answering machine to PC #6  
You could use the sound recorder thats on the computer.
I do it all the time. its in the program section
to get there go to
start
programs
accessory's
entertainment
sound recorder
Then if you play the answer machine speaker into the pc mic it records.
crude, but does work.I have used some sound bits Ive found online and done the oopposite. recorded them from pc to the answere machine.
Hope this helps some.