Chucky got Skunked

/ Chucky got Skunked
PineRidge, I used the skunk stench removal formula on Chucky this AM and can attest to its effectiveness. I can barely smell it now, before the application it would knock you over. If he still is humming tomorrow I might reapply. He took his bath like a real trooper so the wife and I took him & Rusty to DQ for their favorite, a small vanilla cone. I guess dogs don't get ice cream headaches judging by their rate of consumption. They are crunching on the cones before we exited the parking lot.:)
Thanks again,
John & Chucky

/ Chucky got Skunked #12  
I'm glad it worked out for you and the pooch. I've been keeping that formula around for years hoping that I would never really need to use it. Since you say it works so well maybe I'll just pick up what I need to mix up the concoction and keep the stuff handy just in case my doge get a dose of skunk.

/ Chucky got Skunked #13  
NewToy said:
. I took him to the vet for a complete check up and thankfully he didn't have heartworms or anything else.

Question...

Though our dogs get their regular visits to the Vet and take their monthly heartworm prevention medication, I've always wondered...

If a dog acquires heartworms, and it's caught at an early stage, can it be "fixed" or is some amount of damage done as a matter of definition of having the heartworms, it's only a matter of how much?

Or, once they get heartworms, are they walking down a bad road with no return?

:confused:

/ Chucky got Skunked
Richard said:
Question...

Though our dogs get their regular visits to the Vet and take their monthly heartworm prevention medication, I've always wondered...

If a dog acquires heartworms, and it's caught at an early stage, can it be "fixed" or is some amount of damage done as a matter of definition of having the heartworms, it's only a matter of how much?

Or, once they get heartworms, are they walking down a bad road with no return?

:confused:
Richard, The heartworms are hideous creatures which unfortunately I have had some experience with. My Chow mix "Rusty" which I adopted from a safe shelter (They don't euthanize any dogs, they keep them until adopted out) had heartworms. The local vet's donate their time and supplies. The way I understand it the treatment is a 3 stage thing where they dose the dog with non-lethal doses of arsenic. It's enough arsenic to poison the worms but hopefully not the dog. While the dog is undergoing the treatment it is important to keep them from running around too much. The worms can be dislodged from the heart and cause havoc in the cardio system. You keep the dog penned up and the worms will naturally dissole with the treatment. When I picked out "Rusty" I had to wait 2 weeks for his treatment to be completed. He was approximately 2 yrs old when I got him and he went through the treatment with flying colors. I've had him 6-7 yrs now and he has no ill effects from the infestation. I now have them on "HeartGuard" and have them checked once a year at their physical. We were in Florida when I adopted Rusty and the things are quite common down there. Up here in Ohio they are still around but not as bad. They used to be almost unheard of this far north but they have been slowly migrating or way. (Global Warming again?)
I'm not a vet so I might be a bit hazy on some of the detail, but I think that is the jist of it.

John

/ Chucky got Skunked #15  
A few years back my dog got skunked.

I tried tomato juice - made the yellow lab reddish

I tried the peroxide, soap, soda brew - added bubbles to the red lab

I was heading to my parents for a weekend of sailing that night - 60 miles in car with skunky dog :eek: :mad: :mad:

Picked up some of this - petco - Nature's miracle skunk oder remover

It removed smell. Uses enzymes that break down skunk stink protein.

*****************************THREAD BUMPED********************************

TBN Comes through again!

Hi All,

This old thread helped us today, so I thought it could use a bump to help anyone else who runs into this problem.:thumbsup:

We have been smelling skunk occasionally (especially at night) for weeks, but never saw one or had any other evidence of one. :confused2:

Until today, when all of a sudden and for unclear reasons, our house began to reek wretchedly of a mixture of burning plastic, sulfur, rotten eggs, and rancid garlic with overtones of death and decay, and Bailey, our 6 y/o English Mastiff was shaking her head and rubbing it on everything she could reach. :shocked:

She had been outside with Pat down by the pond, and when she became tired of that, she came back up to the front porch to lie down and wait to be let in, as she usually does, and my F-I-L (who's olfactory nerves must be completely dysfunctional) let her in, not even noticing the fetid stench emanating mostly from her head.:thumbdown:

I was working in the other room, and when I crutched out to the living room, my eyes began to tear, my nose to run, and my stomach to turn, all from the intensity of the reeking skunk juice on her head, her bedding, and on the floor where she had been lying. :(

We put her back outside and I pulled up TBN and searched for skunk odor, coming up with this very helpful thread. :thumbsup:

We vacillated between using the cheap, but complicated peroxide, soda, and soap mixture, tomato juice, vinegar and water ala the douche recommendation, or the more expensive, but highly touted Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover, and because the very worst areas were right between her eyes and under her ear flaps, we went with with the last one, per HazMat's experiences above. :eek:

I didn't think it was too awfully expensive at $7.49 per quart, and we wanted to be sure that we had enough for our 165# baby and the other stuff she had contaminated, so we bought 3 quarts and ended up using up one on her, and about half of another on her bedding, the floor, curtains, floor mats and walls, getting the level of fetor down from late Jonestown to mostly tolerable. :drink:

It was simple to use, just soak the fur or cloth and wait 5 minutes, then wash it out and rinse thoroughly. We treated her head twice, and it really seemed to knock it out pretty well, but we noticed that as she dried, it ramped back up just a bit, especially when we touch her head, so we will re-treat her tomorrow, maybe with vinegar and water. :indifferent:

Our profound thanks to HazMat and all the OP's for posting their experiences for us to learn from. :salute:

Thomas

/ Chucky got Skunked #16  
I have had good luck with Dawn dish detergent. Years ago, I had a rottie that got blasted bad in her eyes. I was lucky to have a bottle of saline rinse on hand. I used pretty much the whole bottle on her eyes but it did the trick. Since then, we always keep saline (and Dawn) on hand.

/ Chucky got Skunked #17  
Richard, The heartworms are hideous creatures which unfortunately I have had some experience with. My Chow mix "Rusty" which I adopted from a safe shelter (They don't euthanize any dogs, they keep them until adopted out) had heartworms. The local vet's donate their time and supplies. The way I understand it the treatment is a 3 stage thing where they dose the dog with non-lethal doses of arsenic. It's enough arsenic to poison the worms but hopefully not the dog. While the dog is undergoing the treatment it is important to keep them from running around too much. The worms can be dislodged from the heart and cause havoc in the cardio system. You keep the dog penned up and the worms will naturally dissole with the treatment. When I picked out "Rusty" I had to wait 2 weeks for his treatment to be completed. He was approximately 2 yrs old when I got him and he went through the treatment with flying colors. I've had him 6-7 yrs now and he has no ill effects from the infestation. I now have them on "HeartGuard" and have them checked once a year at their physical. We were in Florida when I adopted Rusty and the things are quite common down there. Up here in Ohio they are still around but not as bad. They used to be almost unheard of this far north but they have been slowly migrating or way. (Global Warming again?)
I'm not a vet so I might be a bit hazy on some of the detail, but I think that is the jist of it.

John
I think there was a recent article that said heartworm is now being seen in all 50 states? If I recall correctly, that would indicate that someone took heartworm positive animals to Hawaii?

We have some adoptees that were treated for heartworm. No issues but we do the monthly Tri-flex.

/ Chucky got Skunked #18  
My little terrier gets sprayed by skunks a couple of times each year. A vinegar water mix seems to be the best, followed by shampoo and rinse.