Mouse in the House. Mouse in the toilet.

/ Mouse in the House. Mouse in the toilet. #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
A week or so I heard what had to be a mouse. The problem, besides a mouse in the house, was that it was in our closet. Our closet has built in cabinets and the mouse was under one of them. I could not figure out how it got in, much less got out.

But that was the first and last I heard the mouse.

Until this morning.....

The wife went to the bathroom on the kids side of the house. Came out to me and said she thinks there is a mouse in toilet. :eek: Hmmm.... Lots of funny faces and thoughts on that mental picture. :D But I digress....

I go look into the bowl, what a fun job early in the morning, :) and sure enough I see the snout of a mouse. Can't see much more than that since we have those disks that turn the water blue. I'm very glad we had blue water in the bowl his morning...

So I have a live mouse in a dirty toilet....

Do I somehow fish him out?

or

FLUSH?

What would you do? ;)

So I flushed. And the mouse is now out, well under, the house.

So now that the mouse is flushed under the house what will happen to him? I figured if the flush did not drown him there would be no or little oxygen in the waste pipe. The toilet has a short extension on it and then empties into the main drain to the septic tank. I would think the pipe is filled with sewer gas that would kill him quickly.

Is this a good guess?

Later,
Dan

/ Mouse in the House. Mouse in the toilet. #2  
Weeeellll, wouldn't the correct way be to bring your .50, .22 or shotgun :D and kill the pour mousie first? :D :D

Not like I would do it - but I am sure some people would:D

/ Mouse in the House. Mouse in the toilet.
Weeeellll, I thought about shooting the critter but I don't have a .50 or a shotgun and per other TBN discussions its not humane to put down an animal with a .22. Thus my problem. :D

So I just flushed. :eek:

T'aint heard anything in the pipes either.... :rolleyes:

Later,
Dan

/ Mouse in the House. Mouse in the toilet. #4  
dmccarty said:
Weeeellll, I thought about shooting the critter but I don't have a .50 or a shotgun and per other TBN discussions its not humane to put down an animal with a .22. Thus my problem. :D

So I just flushed. :eek:

T'aint heard anything in the pipes either.... :rolleyes:

Later,
Dan

Gee Dan,
No picture :) :) :)

/ Mouse in the House. Mouse in the toilet. #5  
I somehow remember a movie, where they used to go to landfill with a shotgun and shoot porcelain toilets - sort of a relax I guess.

/ Mouse in the House. Mouse in the toilet. #7  
I'm not sure you're right about a lack of oxygen in the drain lines. Remember, all your drain lines are vented, or they wouldn't work. It is only through the trap on your drain lines that the air/sewer gas is blocked from flowing into your house. I would think the vertical climb and the traps should discourage the mouse coming into your toilets or sinks. But, I imagine he survived the flush and is stumbling around somewhere between the point where the flush tsunami eased up and your septic tank. I think that I would run as much water as possible through your system all at once to wash him into the septic, where he will drown. If he dies in the line somewhere -- now or later -- he could create a major league blockage.

/ Mouse in the House. Mouse in the toilet. #8  
Just hope he doesn't come back. Especially while the appliance in question is 'in use'. He's gonna be mad... :eek:

/ Mouse in the House. Mouse in the toilet. #9  
A few years ago our cat was looking around our hutch like there was a mouse under there, but we couldn't see it and had to leave. When we came home later, one of the kids went to the bathroom.... and came out screaming!!! :rolleyes:

"There's a MOUSE in the toilet!!!! :eek: "

Mouse was doing the dead man's float. He got a burial at sea. :p

Best we can figure is the cat chased it around, it jumped on the bathtub and then onto the toilet and squeezed under the seat, as the seat is always closed to keep the cat out.

As far as your mouse surviving... I doubt it is still alive. If you want to make sure it is dead, have a nice burrito dinner and let nature take its course. ;)