Generator Gasoline/Propane Conversion

/ Generator Gasoline/Propane Conversion #11  
Bobs, you could also pull from your automotive fuel tanks.

/ Generator Gasoline/Propane Conversion #12  
There is absolutely no way I would use one of those plastic buildings.

I had been planning on a plastic shed, but you raise an excellent point about ventillation.

I don't have the natural gas option, which would be a strong contender if I did.

Now I have to think about a proper storage building.

/ Generator Gasoline/Propane Conversion #13  
They make actual buildings to store flamables in. You should see them around most manufacturing facilities (are there any left?) or at the auctions of the same. Getting to be fairly common at auctions...
I did the last real hurricane with 24 hours down time on the power at my house, but over a week with my mother in law, and around the corner, my sister in law. An 8kw generator on a Bobcat welder works great, but consumes a LOT of GASOLINE!!!
I got an offer from a friend to buy it, for 25% more than I paid for it new, and it was 15 years old. Never abused, just used.
I used some of the proceeds to buy a PTO type of generator for my Steiner Lawn mower. It has a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel engine, which ended my fuel storage problems in an emergency.
I figure I can store about 3-4 days worth of fuel in my JD tractor if I need it, and if things really get bad, I might have to siphon off some (I didn't say this!!) of the companies 235 gallons of fuel in the tractor I drive home every day.
Note: I haven't checked, but I am sure it is a firing offense to siphon fuel out of my companies truck, so it had better be a real emergency. Hopefully in case of power outage in excess of 3-4 days, I would have gotten permission to purchase at least a few gallons, since it is in their interest to provide me with power to run a bath before coming into work, at least after 3-4 days of not having one.
David from jax

/ Generator Gasoline/Propane Conversion #14  
I am here to ask for help but 1st: During hurricane Rita I used 468 gallons of gasoline for my generator. Then came along Hurricanes Humberto and Ike. Any way at $4.60 cent a gallon and trying to find any gas. also in about 3 days the local propane dealer was delivering I want my new genetaor to be multifuel!! I am partially disabiled so here goes: My new generator: Briggs & Stratton 7000w, model 030470, Briggs engine model 250035-0110-B1. Is there and where may i get a propane conversion for this unit, propane and gasoline dual fuel. Also a remote start for it. I want everything huh? PLEASE HELP ANYONE. Dave

Last edited:
   / Generator Gasoline/Propane Conversion #15  
I am here to ask for help but 1st: During hurricane Rita I used 468 gallons of gasoline for my generator. Then came along Hurricanes Humberto and Ike. Any way at $4.60 cent a gallon and trying to find any gas. also in about 3 days the local propane dealer was delivering I want my new genetaor to be multifuel!! I am partially disabiled so here goes: My new generator: Briggs & Stratton 7000w, model 030470, Briggs engine model 250035-0110-B1. Is there and where may i get a propane conversion for this unit, propane and gasoline dual fuel. Also a remote start for it. I want everything huh? PLEASE HELP ANYONE. Dave

I converted my generator a couple of years ago. Here is the web site of the company I used:

Briggs Propane Natural Gas Generators

The link shows the Briggs generators although not your specific number. I would suggest you contact them directly to confirm. I did the conversion myself and it was very easy. They offer a variety of options for fuel type and I opted for the tri-fuel (that you are looking for). They also offer to convert your carburetor for free. So it is really a good deal.

Don't know of any availability for a remote starter. Briggs web site says that they don't offer one because the engine does not have an automatic choke.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/ge...mote starters for my portable generators.aspx

Licklog

Last edited:
   / Generator Gasoline/Propane Conversion #16  
go to the link in my other post for a high presure regulator it will take some mechinical work to install.

I put one of these on mine
hd2rx.jpg

Auto Roll 2 Channel RF Remote Control

along with 2 automotive relays
21aXtS1ALmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: 12 VDC Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A: Electronics

21PSbKBBbbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: 12 VDC 5-PIN RELAY SOCKET: Electronics

21THp50yXGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: In-line ACT Water-resistant Fuse Holder - 10 AWG: Electronics

Use the relays to isolate the generator from the board it cant take the current of the starting solenoid and the second one to ground out the the coil to stop it if its a magneto.
tom

/ Generator Gasoline/Propane Conversion #17  
Thanks to the both of you very much. I will do some research on this today. Seems the problem that i am going to have about a remote start is that I have a manual choke on this unit and will have to find a away to add an electric choke to it that i can also operate remotely. Any ideas fellows. Again thanks so much. David

/ Generator Gasoline/Propane Conversion #18  
You shouldn't need the choke on propane to get it started on the beams there is an option for a 12v primer i would suggest that but not always necessary. mine has a push button on the regulator to let some propane in to intake to make it easier to start when pulling it.
When cranking it over electrically that produces enough vacuum to kick in the regulator to feed the gas in to the carb.

When I run mine on gasoline if I used premium gas (before ethonal) I never had to choke it with the electric start it did cough and sputter for a second or 2 but it ran ok after that.

recoil starting you needed choke to keep from pulling your arm out of the socket.

/ Generator Gasoline/Propane Conversion #20  
Thanks and come to thnk ofit the adapter from what I a reading goes in front of the choke anyway. would be nice to have a electric choke for gasoline use though. Remembering working in the rice fields when i was young, all the tractors where propane and had a primer button on the console to start it from the seat in the morning. Telling off my age and also that i wasn't afraid of hard work, which rice field work is!!