Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #11  
That's pretty funny.:D I went to TSC the other night and I saw "triple-clean" corn. Can quad-clean be far behind?:rolleyes:

Now what I gotta figure out is if triple-clean is really clean, what were they doing on cleanings one and two.:confused:

Corn Flakes?:licking:Dave

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #12  
I haven't researched the regulations but corn is one of the feed grains that can have aflatoxin contamination. If the USDA regulations do not address feeding to wildlife some of the deer corn could be condemned stocks that have a higher than permitted aflatoxin levels.

Vernon

There is the answer to your question, "Anybody have any clues why cleaner corn should be cheaper?", Knute m.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #13  
Well, speaking of deer corn. . . I just bought four bags yesterday from a local feed store for 13 cents per lb ($6.50/50 lb bag). Tractor supply has 40 lb bags for $5.49 which is 13.7 cents per lb. Walmart has 40 lb bags for $5.60, making theirs the most expensive corn at 14 cents per lb. The feed store told me that if I bought 50 bags, they would give me an additional 10% discount. Who says local guys can't compete with big companies? :thumbsup:

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #14  
I used to have feed custom made and asked the feed guy almost the same question. Also learned a little at school at the CDC in Georgia.

His answers best I recall..
)For cheap corn)
1. Tested to high for commercial animal feed, Mold spores IE Aflotoxin
2. Poor quality, last yrs batch. Could be dusty, dirty, cracked. Cracked is bad since it releases it's stored energy, each nugget has the equivalent of 1 BTU if whole, about the only good thing in it really.
3. It's on sale!!

The region you by it in also plays a role. I live in north Texas, my feed company was also in Texas. He said he could buy Texas corn (Field corn) cheaper since it was smaller and of lower quality than the larger Northern raised corn.

Live in Texas?? ever buy a bag at a large box store and notice the unusually small kernels?? Regionally supplied, cuts down on shipping.

Most Deer corn I see is triple cleaned, as a fore mentioned for electric feeders. I buy the deer corn at a reputable feed dealer, his business depends on a good product and I will get a true 50# bag for $7 not a 40# bag from wally world for $6.

Here's a descent article on feeding deer

mmidev3.com - Supplemental Feeding of Deer

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #15  
the cleaner corn is used in corn stoves so that you dont have to clean it yourself. i heard the fines and cobb can jam up your corn stove.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #16  
The other day I went to Tractor Supply for my bi-monthly bag of corn for the ducks that live on my pond.

There were two pallets of corn -- one pallet of fancy and colorful bags called "deer corn" at $4.99 for 50 lbs. The pallet next to it had corn in plain white bags at $5.99 for 50 lbs.

I asked one of the workers what the difference was between "deer corn" and "feed corn." He told me that the deer corn was cleaner than the feed corn. Supposedly it is just kernals, without any pieces of cob or other debris. He said the feed corn tended to jam automatic deer feeders.

I then asked why the deer corn was cheaper. He didn't know.

Anybody have any clues why cleaner corn should be cheaper?

The deer corn sure looks like the feed corn I've been buying for years. So far, my ducks haven't complained.

The Deer Corn is probably GMO, making it cheaper...
See this link about suspected GMO Deer Corn
Unethical Journal Retraction Fuels Mistrust in GMO Science
If you don't come straight to it, press ctlr F and put in deer corn in search box, and enter!
Scary isn't it !

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #17  
I guess the deer eating directly out of the fields are taking a huge chance, they may not be getting the correct corn.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #18  
I guess the deer eating directly out of the fields are taking a huge chance, they may not be getting the correct corn.

Here is what I referred to on the link. It is only one type of deer corn used to bait or attract deer.
Written by "JamNjim":
"I have my own study everyone can ponder on. I hunt and I belong to a hunting club. We lease nearly 2000 acres and have about 50 members. Up until 5 years ago no one on our lease baited (deer corn). There are only 5 members now that don't use bait and we all hunt in the same area. However, deer travel and you can EASILY spot the deer eating the deer corn. Most of them now have huge tumors hanging from their head/neck area. I saw one young deer this year that had a tumor hanging from his eyelid that was the size of a tennis ball.
When a member harvests a deer it is usually my dad and/or myself that steps in and help with processing the meat. I've been doing this for 30 years and my dad has been doing it for 50+ years. Neither of us has ever seen more than 1 or 2 deer in our entire life with tumors, lesions, and cancers. Every single deer harvested in the past 3 years has had internal tumors around the arm pit area and liver damage/cancer. Even the young deer taken by some of our younger/inexperienced hunters have tumors. At least half of the deer harvested have external tumors (on/under skin).
There are no farms where we hunt. The land is unfavorable for farming. Therefore they are not eating any GMO crops. All of the water in the area is spring fed and is some of the purest in the world. It's been tested several times. The only source of carcinogens these deer are getting is from the DEER CORN many of our members use as bait. The only difference in this corn and the corn you buy in the store is how it is processed. It comes from the same farm land."
If the corn is GMO or treated with glyphosate, nobody over there know yet. But after three years the tumours were rampant. Guess also many deer live longer than cattle for slaughter giving another year to develop tumours?

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #19  
Interesting read..thanks.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #20  
Last edited: