XP woes

/ XP woes #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
I ordered a new PC from Dell online on a thursday night -- received it on tuesday -- the fast delivery is the only good part of this story. It came with XP loaded - no choice - and the roxio cd creator software didn't work - out of the box it didn't work. I loaded some other programs that don't amount to much and the system started crashing - it would boot then crash - reboot - crash without touching it. I ran fdisk on it and did a total reload using the cds that came with it. - back to square one. the cd writer still didn't work. I began loading software slowly. Adobe acrobat 5 wiped out both cd drives. unload it - they came back. This is all using the downloaded patches that I spent time finding and downloading. I fail to see what good an operating system is that won't accept any software loads. The monitor also has a high speed jitter. I've called for an immediate RMA. Bird - I can't recommend an upgrade - you're using ME or 2000? and does it work? As far as I can see - XP is definitely not ready for prime time. --- or I really got a lemon.
mike

/ XP woes #2  
That sounds right about inline with everything else I've heard about XP.

-Ben

zd18_21.gif

/ XP woes #3  
I got a Dell 4300 about a month ago - sounds like roughly the same setup as you.

Mine works fine; have loaded tons of software and burned a CD okay.

I did the Windows upgrade/patches yesterday and everything went okay.

You should probably just return it all to Dell and have them ship you a new one. Maybe something lose on the motherboard, etc.

/ XP woes #4  
My wife just got a Dell with XP.
Her sound card didn't work. I downloaded the latest drivers...loaded 'em. The sound card still didn't work. We had a bad card. Dell did send a tech over to replace it...took care of the problem.
So, your drive might be bad hardware, not software related.
I suggest you not...repeat...not open the case. You'll void your warranty. Call Dell and explain the problem. You paid for the warranty when you paid for the computer.
Now, XP does have problems with drivers. Remember, this OS is based upon the NT kernel, not the old Win 95 kernel.
Drivers were always a hassle with NT machines since NT was built for business usage, not home PC's.

It's quite possible some of your older programs won't work at all unless there is an upgrade patch. DOS programs may not work at all. If you want to use those, you'll have to set up a dual boot system with XP and an older OS (such as Win98SE) installed. I won't explain this here...do a search on the 'Net.

Hardware may need new drivers (don't depend on Dell to ship with the latest drivers installed). I see this with the graphics card we ordered.

Personally, I won't do XP due to Microsoft's fascist "activation" requirement (your Dell will already have this done).

<font color=purple> Roy Jackson
Windsor, PA </font color=purple>
[email]jacksonrm@suscom.net[/email]

/ XP woes #5  
<font color=blue>...Adobe acrobat 5...</font color=blue>

I'm seeing some odd/intermittent problems with version 5... mostly "hangs" on the internet while downloading a PDF file to view... but occurring across the board with Win95/98/ME...

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ XP woes #6  
Sorry, but I vote for the lemon. Make Dell replace it or restore it, or get it working ASAP. Remember, XP is VERY particular about software and hardware drivers. I have an old scanner that will never work with XP. Many of my kids older games will not work with XP. My wife's new digital camera will not work with XP. That does not mean XP is faulty. It means that the companies that wrote the aftermarket software have not yet or never will write the drivers for XP. Get Dell to fix it.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-85239-int2500b.jpg

/ XP woes #7  
Whoaaa.... slow down every one!

First, you don't need any CD burner software. A slimmed down version of Roxio software is included and it works.

As for applications not working, oh yeah, good possibility. First, I would run the Windows update to get the latest greatest OS patches. Not that many really. A few driver upgrades and security patches. Microsoft Mea Cupa's on this one!! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Then go out and find out if the applications you have will absolutely work. Microsoft has a Web page that is seachable by vendor. Also, you may want to go out to each of the vendor sites to see if they have any patches. Ya never know....

When I upgraded a few months ago, the biggest headache were printer drivers and games. Other than that, not much of an issue. I have both the Home and Professional editions.

Terry

/ XP woes
What came loaded was roxio basic 5.1 -- didn't work -- tech support advised the downloaded patch -- no joy - I also downloaded and installed every upgrade patch I could find, including the new security one and one from adobe. The software I was trying to load was suppose to be XP compatible. Wordperfect 2002 was one and absolutey refused to function. I tried to load McAfee for NT and I think that's what really toasted it. Sometime after that is when the crash/reboot began. After the brain wipe and reload I'm back to square one. The roxio cd creator doesn't work, the crash/reboot has stopped, and I still can't load any programs -- I'm not trying to use any old legacy stuff here - it's all fairly new. The adobe 5 problem really surprised me.
I guess the only things I tried loading has been the Mcafee, adobe, and wordperfect and if I can't get past that - what's the point? I need procomm plus 32 also but it gave me a warning during setup that it wouldn't work on that OS so I exited. I've been on hold all a.m. with 'em - I want an RMA and a new system shipped with ME loaded. I just don't believe XP is ready. What good is a system new out of the box that needs to be patched to h_ll and back? Roy - above suggested a dual boot machine. That was the original plan - but I want to get a windows system up & running before I add a partition for red hat. and .. the monitor is definitely bad - I just substituted another dell monitor we had around here and it's fine. (sigh) I guess I shoulda rolled my own - but it woulda cost more.
mike

/ XP woes
Just got an RMA # for the return ... I did not crack the case so the waranty should be in full effect. The deal is .. they'll give me a full refund when they receive it, and I can order a new one whenever ... or if ... I'll cool for a day or two to make that decision. Currently I'd like to hand carry this thing to Austin and place it in their collective dark cavity.
mike