Digi-cam movies

/ Digi-cam movies #1  

MChalkley

Elite Member
Tractor
EarthForce EF-5 mini-TLB (2001)
I was inspired by MossRoad's PowerTrac movies to try my Olympus C-2100UZ out in movie mode. It seems to work great, but... A 10-second clip was a little over 8 meg, in QuickTime format. 2 questions:

1) How do you trim the size of these things down?

2) If I shoot some movies of my EF-5, and they can be trimmed down to a reasonable size, does anyone have a site they would be willing to host them for me on?

MarkC
ChalkleySig4.gif

/ Digi-cam movies #2  
I use my trusty 8mm cam corder. I have a video capture card, so it just plugs video and audio in just like the VCR. I turn the camcorder onto PLAY and capture the video. I capture at a lower resolution, I think 320X something and save it at the medium quality setting, which is 30 frames per second optimized for 128K ISDN line. It takes me about 2 minutes to upload an average clip at 28.8. My clips are about 300 - 400 K for about 20 seconds. They are all in Windows Media Format, which uses high compresssion. I had software that would creat MPEG format, which is also highly compressed, but Windows XP ate it.

Do you have the capability to make the resolution lower, and save in MPEG format? If so, try that for a start.

My web site is only server space of about 30 megs, so can't help you there.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-85239-int2500b.jpg

/ Digi-cam movies
MossRoad - My camera has two resolution settings and the sample I took was at the lowest one. So whatever I do will have to be in form of converting the file on my computer after downloading it from the camera, I think.

MarkC
ChalkleySig4.gif

/ Digi-cam movies #4  
Mark,

Its been awhile since I used it, but if you purchase the Quicktime Pro ($30 I think) you can open your quicktime file and then resave it with different parameters (fps, image size, audio quality, compression ratio, etc) which should allow you to get a file size in the size range that MossRoad spoke about.

DaveV

/ Digi-cam movies #5  
I'm not familiar with quick time, but that sounds right. I tried lower resolution than what I post, but it just looks terrible.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-85239-int2500b.jpg