Still loving DuraMax

/ Still loving DuraMax #11  
Yes when you start modifying you have to be willing to go "all" the way. Hey CowboyDoc I finally found someone who understood that tranny. This guy builds them all the time for the guys pulling dozers into the oil fields of WV. Went to all kinds of schools on them. So far it is a strong tranny. If it ever fails I'll let you know. $3000 for the rebuild and has all the features of the SunCoast plus more.

DrDan

/ Still loving DuraMax #12  
I read somewhere that the Cummins motor is rated to 400hp in commercial apps, but can't remember where I saw it.

So far as I have seen, the biggest things holding back the Cummins and Ford/Navistar motors is the trannies they put behind them. That is suppossed to be the big thing with the Duramax; they have a beefy tranny behind it.

I think it will be interesting to see how the 2002 Ford and Dodge respond to the Duramax hp numbers...

/ Still loving DuraMax #13  
Robert,
Yes you're right about the drivetrains holding them back. Dodge doesn't have anything coming out yet but Ford has a complete new design coming out in the 2003 models. Navistar completely redesigned the engine to be a 6 cylinder diesel. It is supposed to be stock 325 hp and 650 lbs. of torque out the door. The mileage is 24 highway and 19 city. To handle this monster they are going to a five speed heavy duty transmission that is supposed to handle 800 lbs. of torque. It just keeps getting better all the time for diesel pickups.

/ Still loving DuraMax #14  
Dan,
I'd really be interested in knowing the name of the guy that did your tranny. Does he work on the 4R100 in addition the E4OD that yours has? So far I haven't had a problem with mine since I did all the work to it. I added new valves to it since I talked to you last and that really firmed up the shifting.

/ Still loving DuraMax #15  
My '93 Dodge 250 4x4 w/Cummins was dyno'ed at just over 800 ft-lbs at the wheels in 4th gear direct with 3.07 rears. It was still going up, but I smoked and blew one of the rear tires because slippage on the metal roller overheated it. The Cummins shop said the 3.07 gears meant that it would be putting out over 900 on a chassis dyno, but I don't know about the accuracy of that.

After I cooked the Getrag (which even the Dodge mechanics called a "Got-a-rag") towing my tractor around (with the L4310 and implements on the 3-axle trailer, I was routinely grossing 25k), I retro-fitted the NV-5600 6-speed into it. So far, so good, with that tranny, but I've redone the injectors, and upped the turbo boost from 20 to 30 psi since the dyno tests, so I don't know what it's putting out now. (From what it did to the Centerforce Competition clutch that was rated at 1000 ft-lbs, a Sachs guy said it's got to be putting out at least 1000, but again, that's not verified.)

Right now, I've got a carbon fiber clutch in it with a 40% stiffer pressure plate that's holding well, but the truck is down again at the moment with a bad slave cylinder. When we did the tranny retrofit, I made my own hose in order to mate a new-style slave cylinder to an old-style master cylinder, but didn't think about the fact that brake fluid would eat up the rubber lining of the standard hydraulic hose, which contaminated the seal in the slave cylinder and ruined it. So I have to have a hose shop make up a special hose with a teflon liner. They couldn't find the right fitting, but I've finally got all the parts, just have to put them in. Never a dull minute - when you play, you pay... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Still loving DuraMax #16  
Ain't it amazing what you can do with the diesel engine? Add propane injection and you add another 20%. LOL I have enogh right now, but there's always that option in the future...

DrDan

/ Still loving DuraMax #17  
DrDan - You're right - they are amazing. I try to get a diesel in anything I own. Being a nut, before I bought the VW ('96), I called the nearest dealer for every other manufacturer I could think of that made cars in the price range I was looking for (<$30K). Just on principle, I told them I was buying a new car, it was going to be a diesel, and I wanted to know what they offered. I already knew none of them had anything - I just wanted them to know they were losing a sale because of it.

I've seen some propane injected diesels, and it does make a difference, that's for sure. But, I'm already having enough trouble keeping universal joints in mine. I don't need to uncover any more weak links...

/ Still loving DuraMax #18  
Don't you have a problem getting that 25k load going with only 3.07 gears?

/ Still loving DuraMax #19  
GlenM, I havent really kept up on the D-max options, but if there stock with that much HP and TQ then the sky is the limit. Most tow chips ( Superchips, Banks ETC.) are setup to keep low EGT's but you would still need a Gauge to monitor them. The safe thing to get would be a better airfiter, ( I.E. a K&N, Amsoil ETC.) Larger exhaust.

DrDan, I got a 96 F-250 chipped with the 3 position switch and all the gauges ETC, The first position uses the ford computer 2nd is tow and 3rd is race mode, Max output is 300 hp max, I can get more if I was to upgrade the injectors /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I am pushing less then that now until I get it intercooled/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Once intercooled then it will drop my EGT's a little more in the race mode.

MChalkley, The dodge boys can really upgrade its unbelieveable the HP they can turn out on a fraction of the cost it takes for the PSD. One guy on another site has broke the 700 HP with his dodge you can read it here, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.diesel-central.com/forums/thread.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=2998>700+ HP</A> Now that is some HP.

cowboydoc, I think I will wait till 2004 just so they can work any bugs out but if it gets that good of fuel mileage it will definitely be an early trade for me/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Take care all, Jim

/ Still loving DuraMax #20  
Cowboydoc - No, not at all, with all that torque - but it's tough on the u-joints. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

It actually works out almost perfectly. When I'm not towing, I can cruise at 70-75 mph in 6th gear tach'ing about 1700 rpm, just about perfect for the torque power band of the Cummins. If I'm towing, I can drop back to 5th gear (direct), and tow at 60 mph at about the same rpm. It's a lot easier on the ears and engine, and I get a lot better mpg than if I were winding it out. As I said, the downside is that transferring that lower rpm torque is tough on u-joints, though.