Still loving DuraMax

/ Still loving DuraMax #1  

Anonymous Poster

Saw a post back in the summer about the new GM Duramax Diesels. Just reporting that after 12K miles no problems and that this is one HD butt kicken tow vehicle. The motor and Allison 5 speed auto have been flawless. Probably 8k of the 12K miles are Kubota towing (commercially) in mountain area. No failures or dealer returns to date. Sticker shock not for prospective buyers with cardiac problems though.

/ Still loving DuraMax #2  
What's the HP and Max Torque on that rig?

DrDan

/ Still loving DuraMax
300 HP - 520 Ft. Lbs. Torque.
Seat of the pants feel factor ... 10+

/ Still loving DuraMax #4  
Mmmmm sounds nice Glen. I have a '94 F-350 IDI 7.3 L Diesel that I have just gone way beyond "reasonable" on. Had it on the dyno in October and it was doing 750# Torque and about 290 BHP. Have pump, injectors, turbo and tranny modified. Also have intercooler which adds some. It is a rush to drive - my girlfriend thinks I'm nuts, but oh well that's why she a girlfriend and not a wife. Love my diesels!

Did you put a pillar gauge mount on yet and add a pyro, tranny temp and boost pressure yet? It is nice to keep track of what's going on - especially with the exhaust temp.

I may get into pulling the sled next summer. According to the tranny people who had it on a dyno, it should pull 23,500 if I can get traction. Now stopping 23,500 is another trick! Need a dang dozer and trailer for a load to play with!

DrDan

/ Still loving DuraMax
WOW! SHAME ME! No mine is all stock. It is a business vehicle so I keep the toy factor to $0 on it. My tow vehicle before this was a Dodge V10 gasser. It was no slouch either. I couldn’t imagine 750# torque, man I would like to test drive your truck!

/ Still loving DuraMax #6  
Glen,

By all means put a exhaust temperature gauge in there someplace. Keeping exhaust temps below 1100 F can keep your engine running "lots" longer. If it is getting too hot ya just shift down one or let off on the pedel a little. This is a must if ya towing lots of stuff and want to keep engine. Also a nice idea to let the turbo cool to below 300 F before shutting it off.

Yes this truck actually scares me sometimes. They did all these mod's in Indiana and an intercooler pipe was holding back the throttle to 3/4 open. I drove it back from Indiana and thought wow this is great! Well after the tranny people found this problem I almost lost it when I turned up the wick!
I could have bought a brand new one for less than I have invested, but I just like the "older truck" styling and pretty much have it restored to new condition now.

If I ever get another one I will no doubt go for the Duramax. It was my choice before I got involved in this project.

The girlfriend like I say thinks I'm nuts. I drive an old beater when there is salt on the road - she thinks I overly protective. Just don't like salt if I can avoid it. That's what beaters are for - it already has a bad case of cancer - can't hurt that one.

DrDan

/ Still loving DuraMax #7  
DrDan,
Really from the factory they are set not to exceed dangerous temps. outside of the normal by the computer. If oil temp gets too high or low the engine shuts down, if water temp gets too high they shut down. Pretty much stock they make the "idiot" proof. Unless you're running extra horses over the original design like you and I do there really isn't a whole lot of need to add the gauges. ARE they nice and a secondary backup to seeing how things are going, definitely. But they run these things wide out and with full loads to see where they are going to be and then with the computer they set the "safe" parameters.

/ Still loving DuraMax #8  
What have the aftermarket performance chip guys come up with for the Duramax? I know the newer Ford 7.3 is basically a detuned T444E and can really be hot rodded with the right chip - but gauges are a must then - also, driveline life will be shorter.

/ Still loving DuraMax #9  
See Glen you need a chip and some gauges and then you can really have some fun!

Blow some smoke on that car playing the loud "rap" next to you!

DrDan

/ Still loving DuraMax #10  
Everything they have for the Ford and Dodge trucks you can get for the duramax. Everything from new exhaust to chips to injectors, etc. Then like Dr. Dan says though you need all the gauges then. Even the Allison wasn't meant to hold up to that kind of abuse without some mods to it as well.